Names Searched Right Now:
Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Re: It's not unique... it's just spelled wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by vicioustrollop9
    I have an issue, too, with certain names that when I read them I cannot figure out how they are the same name even though they are so-called "ligitimate" spellings. My two best examples: Zoey and Zooey, Isaiah and Isiah. How are those the same names? Maybe you guys can help me out on this...
    Two of my biggest pet peeves. Zooey looks like zoo-ee and Isiah looks like I-sigh-uh. I can't help you out on that but I wanted to let you know that you are not alone on it.

PS-
    Quote Originally Posted by vicioustrollop9
    And I do think it is completely a parent's choice how to spell their childs name, but I think there also needs to be a line, and that line needs to be the pronunciation line.
    And thank you. I started a thread about name spellings, and that's pretty much the point I was trying to get across. But alot of people disagree, I guess. Oh well.
    Emmeline and Felicity <3

I went to school in grades 6 and 8 with 4 girls named Christina.

2 were Christina last initial, 1 Kristina (either with a K or last initial), and 1 Khrystyna (either with a Kh or last initial) .

My wife's receptionist's name is Lynzie, and for the longest time it took me stopping and staring at the name to be able to figure it out.

My wife's name is Jessica, and she was in school with more Jessica's then she could count, but me as Danae never met another one my age.

I'm all for the accepted spellings of names. If the different spelling of a name is ethnic, then I am okay with that, otherwise, I think stick with the original.
    Sloane Thora Eunice, November 1, 2010, Greer Hattie Aurelia, February 29, 2012 and Rhys Colin Albert, May 9, 2013.

Sister to Imogen, Poppy and Jasper

I write things on my iPhone. I don't mean to miss words or press two letters at once.

As I mentioned in another post a month or two ago, names that are spyllt unhyouszhooli are a real headache for people who are hypersensitive to spelling (at the extreme end of the scale are hyperlexics, who in studies often react to incorrectly spelled words with extreme frustration, and frequently feel a compulsion to correct them). Personally (as a person who is considered hyperlexic by some, but not all, definitions of the word), I don't mind spellings that follow the rules of some language or other. I do mind names that use vowels interchangeably, because they are not interchangeable in *any* language, or use bits and pieces from different languages to make something that is supposedly unique. Being able to pronounce something is a good rule of thumb. Some of the names listed up thread just give me a headache to look at, let alone sound out.

Apart from that, though, I just don't get it. Behindthename.com lists 17685 different names, only some of which are stupid trendy spelling variations. Surely any parent wanting to give their child a special name can find something better than MayhCai'lagh*, which, after all, (apparently) sounds just like Michaela out loud (though I still read it as may-kye - lag)? (Don't even get me started on the apostrophe that has been shoehorned in there!)

*yes, seriously.

Although I can't stand the look of uniquely spelled traditional names, I certainly don't judge or "look down on" a person for giving one to their child. I may be rolling my eyes in my mind simply because I'm such a name-nerd, but I don't feel like they are "low class" as a previous posted said. That's just wrong.

It's a huge trend that, like all trends, will eventually fade. Until then, people are going to continue to follow it because that's what people do.

There are a few spelling variations that I find acceptable, despite my general dislike. Most of the time, I find it acceptable to change a "y" at the end of a name to an "i" or an "ie". Like changing Molly to Mollie. This just doesn't bother me. Maybe it's because my own name is Colbi - a variant of my mother's maiden name, Colby?

And as a previous poster noted, it's perfectly fine for a parent to choose a less-common-but-still-legitimate spelling for a name. I think the name Carrie is a great example. Carrie is known as the "traditional" spelling of the name, however variations like: Cari, Carri, Cary, Kerri, Keri, Kari, Karri, and Kerry are perfectly normal and legitimate.

I do not like unique spelled names. Period. I try my hardest to keep my opinion to myself when I meet an Emilee and or MacKenna (I don't even find the origional spelling that attractive) but I just lose it when I hear about Izzabella. Why do that to your poor child? What did they do to you?
    I thnk some name variations aren't that bad- like Isobel instead of Isabelle, Catherine instead of Katherine, ect. And even the variation of Amoris (Amris) isn't too terrible. But really. The rest of it bugs me.
    -Athena

Top Girls: Under Construction

Top Boys: Under Construction