Names Searched Right Now:
Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Re: It's not unique... it's just spelled wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by vonkrone
    Well it comes down to this for me. Children should be given a name that they will be able to use no matter what life they choose to live. And if you give them a name such as Gzeremee, Breadan, Serrah, or Khloey, they will be judged by anyone with a sense. Personally, I would never hire someone that had a trashy or made up name. A name says a lot about you, how you were raised and that translates into a career. It may be judgmental, but there will be a lot of people who feel this way. Even friendship or relationship wise, I wouldn't want to date or be friends with someone whose name is Diva, Lollipop, or Jaycin. And if I get two applicants to a job and they are both equally as qualified, I will be choosing Violet over Vyolit. It is an embarrassment that our culture has come to this. Granted, I love unique names as much as the next person, but there is a difference between Sebastian and Emmilee. There are plenty of options for unique names without having to subject your children to years of humiliation.
    I feel like we're the same person right now.

Quote Originally Posted by taylalala
    To sbark392, I think my name has a unique spelling (Tayla) and I would wish it on someone. It's actually nice to be different, and I'm not the only person at my school who has to spell out their name - so do Lizzie, Lizzi, Ann, and Kieran.
    I don't understand how you think your name is the same as Taylor. Your name ends in A, while Taylor ends in an -ER sound. Two distinctly different names. It's not a unique spelling.

I think we have to accept that there is a lot of individual opinion here. Someone will always despise Sara for being plain while another will loathe Emmaleigh for being to trendy. That is life. On this site we tend to prefer classic/vintage/unusual to trendy/recently-created names--you can find sites that are different.

I do have to add my take however ;) I teach at the college level (as a T.A.) and am thus not much older than my students who tend to be one of the first generations of "unique" naming. Taking roll is a nightmare because I butcher almost every name--I don't mind this especially as I am a name junkie--but my students always have the same look of "oh crap, here we go again." Since I know and love my share of Izabella's, Lyndsey's and even an Aric, I don't judge kids based on their names. However, I have noticed that some students simply write their name with traditional spelling (such as a girl named Kaytlyn who would only write Caitlyn), ask to go by a middle (Kaci went by Elizabeth) or otherwise normalize their names.

The world isn't going to end because we have a ton of Neveahs (shudder) but we aren't doing them favors either. Now, when I have a student named Sterling, I can ask how he got such an interesting name--with a Jersey, not so much. I actually had one girl who finally went to the registrar and asked them to change the name that showed up on the roll from Leighanne J. to L. Jane, because she preferred Jane and was "sick of looking at her first name."

I came across a Sacelia at work yesterday and just about died.
    ~~Proud mum to Dashiell Jacob (2008)~~
    ~~Twinsies on the way! Due November 2010~~

Quote Originally Posted by alexandramae
    Quote Originally Posted by taylalala
    To sbark392, I think my name has a unique spelling (Tayla) and I would wish it on someone. It's actually nice to be different, and I'm not the only person at my school who has to spell out their name - so do Lizzie, Lizzi, Ann, and Kieran.
    I don't understand how you think your name is the same as Taylor. Your name ends in A, while Taylor ends in an -ER sound. Two distinctly different names. It's not a unique spelling.
    I don't know where you live, but I live in England, and here we pronounce Tayla and Taylor identically. Therefore, it is a unique spelling.