Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Very Cool Tool to determine if "those are not real names"

Hi All,

As we are struggling the last few days of the pregnancy to settle on a name for our baby boy, I came across this site, http://www.intelius.com/. It is a database search where you can put in the first name (and even last name) of your choice and the state in which you live in and it will tell you all the people in public records with that name. I found it really cool because some of the names on our early list and our narrowed down list fell into that category where people would say "those are not real names" and well we just didn't want a made up name. It was surprising to see how many of those supposed made up names actually belong to real human beings of all ages. So if you are doubtful or questioning whether a name you like is too unique or maybe too popular, check it out at that site and see what comes up.

My husband and I like both classic and unique names and we live in an area of the country where both are widely accepted so we are lucky. Our challenge has been more about finding name that is not already taken by one of our close friends or relatives. We actually have 7 friends pregnant and due around the same time most of which are having boys which has made it even harder.

Good luck all with your name search!

Re: Very Cool Tool to determine if "those are not real names"

Another less scientfic method is to search the name on facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by -sarah-
    Another less scientfic method is to search the name on facebook.
    both a great ways to come up with middle names that work

All names were "made up" at some point. All language was just "made up." That's why they keep adding words to the dictionary - like frenemy ;)

Also, just because someone has a name doesn't mean it's not "made up" (by most peoples' standards... i.e. "newly created," like Abcde and Laquisha). Wendy was "made up" for Peter Pan, and I bet you'll find a lot of Wendys on Intelius!
    One little born 1/14

Did they honesty put frenemy in the dictionary? Please tell me no.