Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Mara vs Mari vs Louisa

What is your favorite of the three? What thoughts come to mind with each name?

We are looking for a name that is feminine and timeless (and will age well), strong yet sweet, and fairly recognizable/easy to pronounce. Agreeing on anything is proving to be difficult.

I would love your feedback!
    Last edited by gigi22; Yesterday at 01:59 AM.

I prefer Mara. Mostly I think of the book title The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. I think it sounds fresh but simple.

Mari I don't like as much because it might as well be Marie to my mind. There's something unfinished about just Mari.

I'm not a fan of Louisa because it was a really popular name for my generation. There were a lot of Louises and Louisas or girls with Louise or Louisa as a middle name. So it doesn't seem fresh enough for me.
    Current favourite girls names: Verity, Eden, Cliora, Antonia, Morwen, Catriona, Dervla, Colette, Sorcha, Tahlia, Lucina, Vita (as name or short for Victoria), Zabet (as name or short for Elizabeth), Nina, Kylara, Zelda, Sabine, Eliska, Zelina

Check out my fantasy/sci-fi girls names list, you'll be surprised how 'normal' they can be! http://nameberry.com/userlist/view/29858

I like Mara, it sounds really mature yet still sweet. We have Amara on our list which is a favourite of my husbands.

Mari looks incomplete to me and although I don't think it would necessarily create pronunciation problems, it's similar to many words (Maori, marry, Marie) and be easily confused...

Louisa is lovely, I love how it looks and the cute nn's, but the way pronounce it as Lou-weeza makes it unattractive to me.
    Eliza Audrey, Freya Madeleine
    Ronan Seth
    Nora Amalia Esther Ada
    Eamon Leo Emmett Arlo

A country where we get weather that people complain about a lot.
    Mara is my favourite and I think it fits the bill. I like Louisa too. Not keen on Mari. I suppose Mari could be a nickname for Mara.

Celia
    Marina
    Claudia
    Helena
    Rosa
    Amber. 17. Happy Hallowe'en.
    Roxana \ Marilyn ≶ Ксения \ Милана \ Алёна \ Арина \ Злата
    Даниил / Роман / Артемий ≶ Victor / Myron / Sylvan / Vincent / Lucien

Mara makes me think of the would mar so I am not a big fan.

Mari looks like some forgot the e on Marie. I would go with Mary if choosing this name.

Louisa is my favorite of the three. It is lovely and versatile giving a child the options of using the full name or some cute nicknames - Lulu, Lu, etc.
    I like simple yet versatile names that work well for the athlete, the comic, the genius, and the judge.