Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kannon? help with middle name.

We are expecting our third child in September, a little girl.

I’ve been contemplating the first name of “Kannon.” The name is the Japanese name for the Buddhist goddess of compassion and mercy. In Chinese it is typically Quan Yin. About a year ago I visited a temple in Kyoto, Japan and thought that day that Kannon would be a cool name for one of my kids.

I’m having trouble with a middle name. Name meanings are important to us.

Her siblings are Aidan Barrett (boy) and Finlay Grace (girl). We have an Irish/Gaelic theme going with first names. Kannon is not in that theme, but in my mind still kind of fits. Our heritage is Irish/German. All the kids get a second middle name which is my last name, begins with J and is one syllable. Last name is two syllables begins with S, ends with –an sound.

I’m looking for reasonable comments on whether we should stick with Kannon and middle name suggestions.

Re: Kannon? help with middle name.

When I read the title I assumed Kannon was for a boy. The name sounds very masculine and kinda violent to me (due to cannon association). I like that it has meaning to you but I am just not a fan.
    *Under Construction*

Quote Originally Posted by leah_9
    When I read the title I assumed Kannon was for a boy. The name sounds very masculine and kinda violent to me (due to cannon association). I like that it has meaning to you but I am just not a fan.
    I like it better than Killian. :p

That being said, I think it can come off as a unisex name, definitely not 100% girl feel to it, but even as a god, it's unisex (just looked it up). if you love it, go for it! And I LOVE that its rich in history!!!

EDIT: What did occur to me right away was Canon the name brand vs Cannon Ball.

Quote Originally Posted by leah_9

I have to agree that I instantly thought Kannon was a name for a boy. It's hard for me to see past that "cannon" connection as well.