Names Searched Right Now:

SSA lists beyond the top 1,000

Since no one else has mentioned it yet, the SSA now has a way to view names beyond the top 1,000 (down to names that were used at least five times on the respective gender). At the following URL there is a link to download a zip file that has such lists for each year going back to 1880:
    http://www.socialsecurity.gov/OACT/b...es/limits.html

Re: SSA lists beyond the top 1,000

Oh my god!!!!! Why is this the first time I'm seeing this!? I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, though... it is not a very clear list, the names are all just listed (horizontally) along with sex and number... is that how it is for everyone else? Rather difficult to decipher that way. But I did find Dashiell! There were 116! Along with a handful spelled differently. Anyway though, is there a better way to look at it?
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

If you right-click and choose to open it in Word or a similar program it should list itself in a better way :)
    I'd also suggest dividing each list in two, one list for boys names and one for girls. Or at least do it with the latest...

I personally use a program called notepad++ which numbers each line (Word doesn't by default) and I can say that there are 20036 girls names given to 5 or more and only 14404 boys names. I'm not sure what that means to be honest...

Wilhelm, Ferdinand, Diamond, Bernie and Zeppelin have the same ranking for boys!! :P

I LOVE THIS! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! <3<3<3<3 ^^
    Resident Norwegian, feel free to ask any questions regarding lovely Norse names and such! I'm more than happy to help ^^

Maeva + Everild + Rosa + Nimue + Ondine + Anaïs + Ophelia + Clio + Ariadne + Nona + Persephone + Lux
    Ambrose + Jorah + Philo + Silas + Orpheus + Hallam + Idris + Leonidas + Orion + Emrys + Graeme + Laszlo

Pearl + Valentine + Noble + Bloom + Prosper + Starling + Wren + Forest + Boone + Evening + Hero + Vesper + Royal

Ive already seen this but I have to say it is a very useful tool. Now I know that there were only 170 Andreas' and 106 Cecilys, which is pretty neat. The data is really hard to organize, some other people metioned using excel to organize it.
    *Under Construction*

There are a few of these posted. :) One of the posts - MilkKate, I think, went really in depth and combined all the names with the same sound, but different spellings and gave us a true top list of most popular names. it was cool.