Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Circumcision

Re: Circumcision

Interesting and educational thread!! My husband is intact due to his father being hung over and missing the appointment. I prefer it that way, haha, and if we have any sons I'd wish to leave them intact but my husband doesn't feel the same. Some of his reasons are:
    1. Girls...He was always very self concious when he was with girls the first times.
    2. Locker Rooms...same as above...haha, well kind of. Just not being the same and getting teased.
    3. Painful...When he was young it was very painful to peel the skin back to clean. (to me this is a tiny bit of justice for our periods and growing breasts...ouch!!)

I hope I can talk him out of it when/if the time comes but I feel it should be up to him in the end.

I would never encourage circumcision I think it is an unnecessary operation and one that will cause the baby stress.

I think the issue of 'matching' with Dad is a non issue.

Nature designed men to have a foreskin why change nature unless there is a physical problem that makes it necessary?
    Psalm 23

Rollo, you summed it up really nicely.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Though I'm not entirely sure why it came up on a naming site...I think part of the reason new parents are still circumcising is because its what their parents. My husband was circumcised when he was a baby...why? Because his grandma hadn't circumcised his uncle and then when he joined the army (or something like that), they made him get circumcised.

Our sons will be left intact. No doubt about it.
    Maggie, Finn, and Theo's mom since 8-10-10!

Quote Originally Posted by catheirl
    Interesting and educational thread!! My husband is intact due to his father being hung over and missing the appointment. I prefer it that way, haha, and if we have any sons I'd wish to leave them intact but my husband doesn't feel the same. Some of his reasons are:
    1. Girls...He was always very self concious when he was with girls the first times.
    2. Locker Rooms...same as above...haha, well kind of. Just not being the same and getting teased.
    3. Painful...When he was young it was very painful to peel the skin back to clean. (to me this is a tiny bit of justice for our periods and growing breasts...ouch!!)

I hope I can talk him out of it when/if the time comes but I feel it should be up to him in the end.
    For reasons #1 and #2, point out to him that the circumcision rate is dropping (last I heard the nationwide average across the U.S. is somewhere between 50-60%, so being intact is no longer being the "oddball" one in many areas). Similar to what I said about the unisex name issue, it will probably be different for your son's generation than your husband's.

For reason #3, "peeling" the foreskin back (also known as retracting) before it's ready to go back on its own is improper care (if you look around at the website whose URL is in the OP of this thread you'll find the section on proper care of an intact penis). There is no need to "clean" under a foreskin that hasn't become retractable on its own yet. The first one to retract his foreskin should be the boy himself (the average age of retractability is around 10 years old or so, but can range anywhere from being retractable at birth to late teenage years). If when he is ready for sexual intercourse it isn't retractable, there are ways to help enable it to do so (but should not be attempted before it's ready anytime before that). There is a lot of misinformation on the proper care of the intact penis, much of which came about during the era when upwards of 80% of American boys were circumcised and the correct intact care was forgotten. In fact, a circumcised penis actually requires more care during the time that it is healing (and possibly for much longer if complications occur).

ETA: Below is the URL to the specific page on the aforementioned site about the proper care for an intact penis (Warning: a nude intact male image is at the top of the page).
    http://www.circumstitions.com/Care.html

ETA2: If your DH wishes he was cut, why doesn't he go get circumcised himself? Contrary to what you or he may think adult circumcision is actually in many ways less traumatic than when done as a infant since in most cases the foreskin has already naturally separated, plus he can say if he's experiencing pain and be given pain relief (that may not be safe to give to a newborn baby). If he doesn't want to get it done to himself he shouldn't have it done on someone who can't give consent.