Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Circumcision

Re: Circumcision

I know I may get yelled at but I think it should be the choice of the mom. It doesn't have to be painful either. We waited till my son was almost a month old and he didn't even cry. It was never pushed on me and I wouldn't push it on anyone else but I do plan to have any future sons circumcised too.
    Mommy to Elijah Michael & Felicity Elizabeth Louise

My Girls: Opal, Freya, Genevieve, Evangeline, Cordelia, Theodosia
    DH Girls: Laura, Elora, Coco, Phoebe, Piper, Paige, Tillie, Avalon

My Boys: Viggo, Hugo, Arthur, Bartholomew, Archer, Atlas, Phineas, Milo
    DH Boys: Sebastian, Gabriel, Alden, Jesse, Asher, Gideon, Spencer, Isaiah

GP: Tempest, Indigo, Magnolia, Calico, Spirit, Persephone, Ransom, Euphemia

Current Favorites: Harvey Archer & Cordelia Sylvie Antoinette

Quote Originally Posted by lyndsayjenness
    I'm glad to hear that not matching your dad wasn't a big deal. Do you think it would be an issue between two brothers?
    I think a good explanation in this case would be similar to the circumcised father/intact son one (except that you made the decision in both cases rather than society in general with the father/son one); mention that circumcision was once thought to be better but you learned the truth and are now against it. Since you now know better please definitely leave any future son(s) intact!

I never thought much about circumcision until I was pregnant with my son. My wonderful midwife informed provided me with lots of information on the practice so I could make an informed decision. My husband (who is cut) and I agreed we could never do that to our son. If he wants to be cut when he is older (though I don't know why he would), it can be his choice. It is his body and even though I am his mother, I won't make that choice for him. Female circumcision is common practice in some countries yet in the US it is consider genital mutilation. I don't know why our sons don't get the same respect.

Quote Originally Posted by saranel
    I think it should be the choice of the mom.
    I'm curious why it should be the mother's choice over the fathers. I mean if you were leaving it up to one parent, I'd think the father should have more of a say on this subject.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Quote Originally Posted by lyndsayjenness
    Quote Originally Posted by saranel
    I think it should be the choice of the mom.
    I'm curious why it should be the mother's choice over the fathers. I mean if you were leaving it up to one parent, I'd think the father should have more of a say on this subject.
    Or better yet let the CHILD have the most say (i.e. leave it the way it is until he can decide for himself). An instance where I think the mother's opinion should override the father's is if the latter insists on circumcision for "matching" or other trivial reasons.