Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Circumcision

Circumcision

Although I'm not a mom (or even a woman for that matter), I thought that I'd start a discussion thread on here about circumcision of boys (hope that I'm allowed to post here). As you could probably infer, I'm male and thankfully I was left intact (I will be using that term rather than "uncircumcised") despite being born in the U.S. in the 1980s, and if I have any sons I will ask that they be left that way. In general I am strongly against circumcision without legitimate medical reasons on a non-consenting person (I'll remain silent on religious circumcision). Here's a good site that expresses how I feel on the issue (warning: pictures of penises there for educational purposes): http://www.circumstitions.com

ETA: In light of the recent (April 14, 2011) debate about this thread, I removed what originally made the idea for this thread come about (a unisex name debate and how from my personal experience there seemed to be a correlation between opinions on the unisex-names-for-boys and the circumcision issue, but I removed it since I didn't want to further elaborate on that for any newbies who saw this thread for the first time since it was brought back up).

Re: Circumcision

I googled this subject and it appears that the prevailing attitude by the medical community re circumcision today is that they are not in favour of it.
    Psalm 23

I got my son circumsized, and while there weren't any complications I instantly wished we hadn't done it. They did it at the hospital the day he was born and when they brought him back I could tell he was in pain. He seemed to be fine very shortly after, but still. It was just terrible to see him in pain and not be able to do anything about it when he was so small, especially knowing that it wasn't necessary.

The gallery of famous intact men on that site is interesting, it's tons of people! (Ewan McGregor ;-) ... A lot of the stuff there is interesting, actually. I don't get why circumsition became so common in the first place.

I think one reason it's still so popular is because people want their sons to "match" their dads. I wonder now if that even matters at all. I mean, they match well enough, don't they? I mean I don't think kids would get all confused because they have foreskin and their dad doesn't. Or would that be a problem? I really don't know, just speculating.

Anyway, if I ever have another son I probably won't have him circumsized. The pain of the procedure is too much for me to make a child endure again. I don't think I'll look at that site anymore, though, makes me sad.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Quote Originally Posted by lyndsayjenness
    I got my son circumsized, and while there weren't any complications I instantly wished we hadn't done it. They did it at the hospital the day he was born and when they brought him back I could tell he was in pain. He seemed to be fine very shortly after, but still. It was just terrible to see him in pain and not be able to do anything about it when he was so small, especially knowing that it wasn't necessary.

The gallery of famous intact men on that site is interesting, it's tons of people! (Ewan McGregor ;-) ... A lot of the stuff there is interesting, actually. I don't get why circumsition became so common in the first place.

I think one reason it's still so popular is because people want their sons to "match" their dads. I wonder now if that even matters at all. I mean, they match well enough, don't they? I mean I don't think kids would get all confused because they have foreskin and their dad doesn't. Or would that be a problem? I really don't know, just speculating.

Anyway, if I ever have another son I probably won't have him circumsized. The pain of the procedure is too much for me to make a child endure again. I don't think I'll look at that site anymore, though, makes me sad.
    Great post, Lyndsay! I forgive you for circumcising your first son, since it appears that you did not know the full truth about the procedure then (and you said you won't circumcise any future ones).

Luckily for me my mom learned how painful circumcision was before I was born. When she was in the hospital when her first child (who was a girl) was born, she heard a baby screaming extremely loudly and asked what was going on. The doctor said that the baby was being circumcised. At that point, she decided that any future sons of hers would not be cut. My dad was circumcised, and not having "matching" penises was never a problem (other than me asking when I was younger why mine had the skin that his didn't).

Yes, that site contains a lot of information on circumcision and other types of nonconsensual genital altering, and after looking around on there it makes you think about what circumcision is really all about (like they say on there foreskin is "not just a flap of skin").

ETA: On why circumcision became so popular (besides in religious circles), the idea started in the late 19th century to help reduce masturbation (we know that didn't work). After that they've kept coming up with new "benefits" of circumcision to keep it going (the most recent being that it helps prevent AIDS and other STDs, which anyone who has been educated on sex knows is not true).

Thanks for the forgiveness, Kelly! I wonder how they thought it would reduce masturbation? They came up with crazy stuff back in the day. Did you know graham crackers were invented by a Reverend to reduce "carnal urges"? Corn Flakes, too. They thought eating bland foods would do the trick. Haha.

I really wonder why they still push it at the hospital. Why not just stop?

I'm glad to hear that not matching your dad wasn't a big deal. Do you think it would be an issue between two brothers?
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco