Names Searched Right Now:

November Baby- Ideas for Baby # 2 if it's a Girl- HELP!

Need Help/Input on Names for November baby (girl names 1st)

Hello everyone! My husband & I are expecting our 2nd baby this November (yay!) We have an adorable little boy named Jackson Dale (we weren't aware how popular Jackson is when we chose it- and long story short- after calling my belly that for awhile-he responded to the name during an ultrasound and so it stuck despite its popularity.) Dale is a family name.

While we're still about a month and a half from finding out the gender of this new wee one we've been discussing baby names & I thought I'd come on here and get all of your amazing input. I'm going to start with the girl's names that both my husband and I agree on. The styles are all pretty different, I think, but we both like all of the names listed below. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the names: with Jackson, in general, what this little girl would be/look like, middle name ideas and anything else you brilliant people think of.

One more wrench in the gears. Our last name is Dryer-so I worry about how the names will sound with it and whether possible name combinations and their initials (ex. Brooke Annabelle Dryer- BAD!?) are really all that "bad"-pun intended :) or something to be concerned about? THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!

Our Fave Names & Thoughts on Them:
    1. Brooke- it has the K sound that mimics Jackson's name nicely. It's a classic and one that both my husband I have always liked. It's pretty but I worry that it's not super exciting...

2. Luca (Lou-cuh)- I know, I know- some of you are going to say, "It's a BOY's name!!" Again it has a sound that seems to go well with Jackson. And we both really like it. My name is Dana which is, or technically was a boy's name. And I personally think that with the "a" ending it sounds too feminine to be a male name. Plus I think it's cute when a girl has a boy's name. Especially with a feminine middle.

Brooke and Luca are my husband's top picks of the four I'm writing about right now. I like all 4 for different reasons and waiver between them- ahh hormones.

3. Annabelle- totally different than the names above. My mom's name is Diana and my mother in law is Anne Marie (pronounced Annamarie since she's Dutch) but she goes by Anne, so this one would in part honor them. We like it but worry about it being too popular/not very unique with all of the Belle/Bellas and their variations out there. Have thought about maybe using this as a middle but not sure I want to knock it out of contention for first name position.

4. Gemma- not uber popular here in the U.S. even though it's big in the U.K. I have always loved Emma but don't want to go there because it's beyond popular and no longer holds that special appeal to me. Darn Rachel on Friends!! I like Gemma because I love that it still captures the essence of Emma but makes it more unique/special. Plus, because it's a G name I could call her GiGi which I think is so cute. My husband is probably least sold on this one because it's "different". But after seeing Gemma Arterton in The Clash of the Titans and Gemma Ward I'm a little convinced that a Gemma would be gorgeous. :)

So! Those are the names- sorry about the novel- I'm an English major and have a tendency to write a ton. Would love to hear ideas/thoughts. Feel free to add suggestions for boy's names that you think would be compatible/that we would like if you're still awake by the time you finish with this.

Re: November Baby- Ideas for Baby # 2 if it's a Girl- HELP!

Hi, Dana!

Congratulations on baby two! I bet Jackson is excited to be a big brother (or maybe not yet...). Here are my thoughts!

Brooke - Brooke does sound nice with Jackson. Both are in the same vein, popularity-wise, and they seem to match in image. I see Brooke as a fun-loving, playful girl with a big smile on her face and her cheeks flushed with excitement. She has brown hair, braided down her back, and she's running around in a T-shirt, short shorts, and flip flops, scurrying after her big brother. I imagine she'd be close to her brother, always trying to mimic him and get into his business. Ever the annoying little sister, Brooke can be proud and bossy when she wants to be. You mentioned the K sound mimicking the sound in Jackson's name, which is good and all, but you don't want to trap yourself into a pattern where you have to find a name with a strong K sound for any future children, do you? The only drawbacks I see with this name are 1) the potential difficulty in finding a good middle name [Brooke Olivia Dryer BOD, Brooke Elizabeth Dryer BED, Brooke Allison Dryer BAD, etc.] and 2) it sounds just slightly dated to me, like a late-1990s and early-2000s favorite.

Similar names you might like include Tess(a), Quinn, Blair, Reese, and Brynn.

Luca - I'm with you in that most boys' names ending in A just really don't feel masculine to me, except maybe Ezra and Noah. Luca, to me, isn't right for a boy, but at the same time, it isn't right for a girl, either! I don't at all see Luca with Jackson, to be honest with you, as the style is just so different. Jackson is a traditional English surname name, whereas Luca feels comparably much more exotic and foreign, artsy and playful. I honestly can't even give you a picture of Luca, as the name feels so wrong to me.

Alternates to Luca include Lucy, Willa, Lorna, and Ayla.

Annabelle - Well, first off, I prefer the Annabel spelling. With such a girly name, I don't feel the need to add the extra frills with the -belle ending (same thing with Juliet and Juliette). It is really a matter of personal preference. Annabelle is a great name, but it seems much more classic to me than Jackson, which looks more trendy because it is a surname name, and that is a trend now. On the other hand, using Annabelle could make Jackson feel more classic, too. Annabelle is a girly-girl name, and I see a tiny little dancer, her blond hair falling in curls down her back as she prances around the dance studio in her pink leotard, her tutu bobbing up and down as she completes her steps, a huge smile on her face. Annabelle is very much a little princess, and she has her daddy wrapped around her little finger. I'd imagine she might clash with her older brother, and she's definitely an attention grabber - most people are just attracted to her and her deceptively sweet smile! I like the idea of honoring family, but I'm not sure this name is perfect for you.

I might suggest Anna, Julianne, Rosanna, Alice, Juliet, Sarah, Charlotte, and Rebecca as alternatives to Annabelle.

Gemma - I always feel like Gemma is just a dressed-up Emma, which I understand is kind of a silly view. To me, Emma is an elegant classic with rich history and tradition, and though I understand that Gemma isn't a new name, it just feels like someone took Emma and threw on a fresh coat of paint, a few sparkles, and some pretty stickers and called it "the new Emma," you know? At the same time, I can appreciate the name's appeal. It is sassy and sweet at the same time, while maintaining a look of sophistication. Gemma is playful, girlish, and fun. I'd imagine Gemma to be a bit of a little entertainer, delighting family and friends with silly performances, dances, and songs. She looks up to her brother as if he is a god, and he delights in her as well, doting on her and protecting her. Gemma starts with the same sound as Jackson, even though the letter is different - I don't know if that bothers you. I think the two are a nice match, and I think something like Gemma Gwendolyn "Gigi" Dryer would be adorable!

Some other names you might like are Cara, Fiona, Isla, Kaia, Laura, Phoebe, Sosie, and Tallulah.

Good luck!

Lemon :-)
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude

1. Brooke- It's an ok name, I like Brooklynn better.

2. Luca (Lou-cuh)- The only person I ever met with this name was a girl, I think it's a great name for a girl and the a on the end does make it sound like a girls name (at first I thought it was a girl name) It is definately one of my favorite names.

3. Annabelle- It like this name, but it is very common, I like the idea of using it as a middle name.

4. Gemma- It is a very pretty name, one of my favourite names and not too popular. It would be a good choice.

Gemma is my favorite from your list. Gorgeous name and love its Italian roots. Also the name of a female saint..

What about Lucia? this is definitely a pretty, feminine name..