Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

A naming story that not a single one of you can relate to:

This is how a non-name-nerd chooses a name. So the mere fact that you're looking at nameberry means that it can't be you. My friend just told me that this is how she picked her son Aidan's name:

"I was watching Sex and the City one day and [the character Aidan] came on and I said, 'Aidan, that sounds nice... I'm going to name the baby Aidan.'"

The middle name is that of a certain Irish Cream liqueur. She just always liked that name.

And that's all. That was that. I can't even comprehend that. Sometimes I wish it were that easy for me. What about you? Did you ever have a naming experience like that?
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Re: A naming story that not a single one of you can relate to:

I name inanimate objects (and insects) all the time. Haha. When I do this, the names just sort of come to me. And then it's perfect. I doubt it will ever be that easy to name a child, though. But who knows? Maybe I'll have a name all picked out, and then I'll see my baby and I'll just know.
    "I think that is what life is all about, actually. About children and flowers." -Audrey Hepburn

Hi, Lyndsay!

Actually, my dad was a fan of the television show, Family Ties, which is how he picked both my and my brother's middle names - Elyse and Alexander. He liked the way the names sounded!

What about if you get a name from a book or something, regardless of how the character acts? For example, we all know I love Lydia, which I found in Pride and Prejudice, but Lydia Bennet isn't really the sort of character most people would choose to name a child after. Or, what about Fern? I found that one in Charlotte's Web and was instantly attracted to its soft, whimsical sound. Or, what about Emmeline? I learned about Emmeline Pankhurst - well, she is a noble namesake - in a history class years ago and loved the name! Same goes for Arabella, Cecily, and Gwendolen. Sometimes you find names you love in the most unusual places.

I say that it doesn't matter where you find a name for the most part - well, maybe a liquor cabinet isn't the best place to look - as long as you find something you love!

Take care!

Lemon :-)
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude

Ah yes, but it's not how she found the name that I can't relate to. We heard the name Dashiell in The Incredibles, but we didn't name the kid after the character, we just originally liked it because of that. What I can't understand is hearing it and just deciding that was it, not putting another moments thought into it, ya know? Naming a baby is a big responsibility! You'd think you'd think about it for more than 30 seconds before making your decision.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Quote Originally Posted by lyndsayjenness
    Ah yes, but it's not how she found the name that I can't relate to. We heard the name Dashiell in The Incredibles, but we didn't name the kid after the character, we just originally liked it because of that. What I can't understand is hearing it and just deciding that was it, not putting another moments thought into it, ya know? Naming a baby is a big responsibility! You'd think you'd think about it for more than 30 seconds before making your decision.
    Oh! Well, yes, I couldn't imagine making my decision that quickly. I guess it would be nice to have such a strong gut feeling sometimes, though, right?

Lemon :-)
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude