Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Do you think that this name is "masculine enough" for a boy?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, regardless of the spelling

3 21.43%
  • Spelled Reece or Rhys, but not Reese

3 21.43%
  • Only with the "original" Rhys spelling

6 42.86%
  • No, regardless of the spelling

2 14.29%

Spinoff: Reece et al. for a boy

The poll about Wyatt/Reece and the comments on how some say that Reece is too "feminine" led me to post this poll. I know that Reese Witherspoon has affected opinions on this name, but I still think (especially with the other spellings) that it's perfectly fine for a boy.

Re: Spinoff: Reece et al. for a boy

What a great poll. Me and my husband want to name our son Reece but I have been thinking about throwing the name out because so many people associate it with a girls name and I just don't want to cause problems for our son in the future. If we did use it we will spell it Reece though.

Quote Originally Posted by tborek1
    What a great poll. Me and my husband want to name our son Reece but I have been thinking about throwing the name out because so many people associate it with a girls name and I just don't want to cause problems for our son in the future. If we did use it we will spell it Reece though.
    I think if you like it you should use it! In general I think the issues of boys sharing names with girls is overblown (and I'm a guy with a name used both ways myself), especially these days with so many names (e.g. Jordan, Riley) being used successfully on both genders without issues beyond the gender confusion (for both the boys and girls) that comes with those names. Since the Reece spelling still doesn't rank for girls I think it shouldn't be too much of a problem. People who use names like these for girls are only half of the problem; the other half is those who abandon the use of such names for boys when they're being used on girls. The way to help keep names like Reece at least somewhat masculine is to continue using them for boys.

Great post. My son is Rhys, although we changed the spelling 3 weeks after he was born from Reece. I love the name, which is originally a male name! Reese Witherspoon uses her mother's maiden name, her given first name is Lauara! Anyway I think it's become unisex since she is such a big celebrity. I went with the Reece spelling at first to make things "easier" for everyone else but people asked if it was with a S or C anyhow and somehow Rhys looks more masculine, it's full of history and charm and just looks cool. I think many names startout masculine and someone uses them for a girl and the name begins to sway- Avery, Finlay, Logan....are examples.

Quote Originally Posted by namefan
    The poll about Wyatt/Reece and the comments on how some say that Reece is too "feminine" led me to post this poll. I know that Reese Witherspoon has affected opinions on this name, but I still think (especially with the other spellings) that it's perfectly fine for a boy.
    I totally agree with you. I love the name Rhys/Reece for a boy and sad to see the nameberry experts (Pam) flat out say "no" to this awesome boy's name.