Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Talk to me about Bay (on a girl)

What do you think? It's quickly becoming one of my favourites. I've been using it in the middle for a while, but recently I've been thinking about it as a first name. It's just so pretty and nature-y. It's sweet and simple, like May, but more earthy... and just as youthful as Bea but more of a name in it's own right.

I always assumed it was predominantly female until I looked it up on Nameberry - it's not even listed as unisex (neither is Indigo/Willow/Cricket/Lark etc. which bothers me a bit, since Nameberry as a whole is pro-'unisex', surely very neutral sounding word names should be listed as both male and female).
    Am I the only one? Is it really seen as a male name? It doesn't particularly bother me if it is, I'm just wondering about it's general perception. Also, do you prefer it as a male or female name? Again, just after a few opinions.

How would you feel if you met a little Bay? Or a woman named Bay, as a matter of fact?
    close to my heart ★ Billie Cordelia - Jemima Eilidh - May Margaret - Estella Agnes - Jessamine Martha
    Emmett Jack - Alec Huw - Wilfred Nicholas - Rufus Kielder - Harrison Tadhg - Robert Fox - Wes Oberon

unusable-beautiful; Virginia Eseld & Dolores Eithne . ''She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line'. 'olivia; ''somewhat of an enigma'' (http://bigsistercomplex.tumblr.com/)

I like Bay a lot. It's interesting and naturey without being too ridiculously out there or over the top. I can easily see it on a little girl or a professional woman.

I definitely prefer it for a girl over a boy. Though the nature aspect of it reads unisex the sound of the name itself strikes me as feminine.

I think it is cute and definitely a girl's name! It seems a little incomplete to me though, what about Beya? Similar sound, but I think the 2 syllables makes it a little more complete!
    -Kiele

It reminds me of a nickname for Bailey, and I have even seen Beyonce with the nickname Bey (same sound). Definitely feels more nicknamey to me, but I still think it could work for a girl.
    Proud Mommy to Maeby Alana (8/6/10) and Saela Eliza (6/24/14)

Aerie - Simone - Romy - Xanthe - Wylie
    Miles - Zefram - Eli - Ephram - Gannon

Feels nickname-y to me.

I think 'bay laurel' which feels feminine because I think of Laurel/Daphne as incredibly girly, bay coloured horses which feels gender-neutral but maybe slightly male, like Roan, and bay like a harbour and that is gender neutral but unappealing for both genders.

Bayla/Baila (first syllable like Bay) is a family name for me, I considered Bay as a variant, but I really prefer Belle or Blythe for single-syllable B names, honestly. I do prefer Bay to Bayley - but I really hate Bayley, so big deal, right?