Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Nicknames for Samuel other than Sam

What are your suggestions for unusual nicknames for Samuel that would transition well into adulthood? I'm looking for a nickname that would not end with "am" as that is also ending of our last name.

Do you think Leo is a viable option?

Re: Nicknames for Samuel other than Sam

Quote Originally Posted by kramare
    I'm looking for a nickname that would not end with "am" as that is also ending of our last name.

Do you think Leo is a viable option?
    Sam and Sammy are the only nn's suitable imo, Leo is not a viable option.

Is there a particular reason that you want to use Samuel?
    Psalm 23

Well - yes, there is a reason for using Samuel.

My baby boy is already here (he is 3 mo's) and he is named Samuel. We picked his name the last minute and didn't really "test-drive" it. So, he was already here when I realized that everyone would call him Sam. The fact that everyone calls him Sam is difficult to control.

Also, he was already here when I realized that the Sam+last name combo would be awkward (I already posted about this on this board a couple of weeks ago).

I feel horrible to have picked a name that is awkward. I am going through excruciating pangs of baby name remorse right now. I keep thinking that my son will be growing up and go through life cringing every time he hears or says his own name.

Right now, I am trying to snap out of my misery by thinking of viable nicknames other than Sam that would stick.

I have searched the posts of women going through the baby name remorse process. It seems that finding an acceptable nickname alternative seems to be best course of action.

(sigh) I just wish we were in Norway, or a place like that, where babies are named when they are 3-4 months old. I wouldn't have picked Samuel.....

I am sorry that you are feeling so bad about the choice you made for your son's name.

It is awkward now I suppose because your little man is accepted as Sam/Samuel. If you like his middle name more with the last name why not start calling him by that name?

My family is full of people called by their second name eg Alex instead of Ronald, and or Jane which was just a name that the father liked better than Margaret her given Christian name.

Best wishes, rollo
    Psalm 23

You could try changing the name to a Samuel alternative like Samson. See list below.

You could shove Samuel to the middle name slot, and give a new first name that you like (Leo). Leopold Samuel sounds quite nice.

You could leave his first name as Samuel and give a middle name that you want to call him by. Samuel Mikel, or Samuel Edmund (Eddie).

Some names just don't stick. My aunt Bonnie was originally named Janette, I think, and it just didn't work for my Grandpa, so they went back to the hospital 9 days later to change it!

International Variations of Samuel:
    Samo, Samko (Czech) Samuli (Finnish) Zamiel (German) Samouel (Greek) Shmuel (Hebrew) Samu, Sami, Samuka (Hungarian) Somhairle (Irish) Samuele (Italian) Samaru (Japanese) Samuelis (Lithuanian) Samoyla, Samvel, Samuil (Russian) Samuelito (Spanish) Sawyl (Welsh) Shem, Shemuel, Schmuel (Yiddish)