Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rivka WDYT?

Re: Rivka WDYT?

I don't think using Rivka would be considered offensive at all, but you'd probably encounter a lot people who would assume you are Jewish if they hear the name. Rebecca is widely used, as are many old-testament names (Noah, Jacob, Abigail, Joshua, etc.). Rivka though is the direct Hebrew name found in the Torah (Hebrew Bible), so it is more associated with Judaism and Yiddish (Rivka/Rivky is a huge with the Orthodox community). There have been plenty of debates about name appropriation so it just depends where you fall on that.
    "Four be the things I'd have been better without: love, curiosity, freckles and doubt." -Dorothy Parker

I think it's lovely, but I could never quite get over the meaning - noose. It does have a beautiful sound, though. If you really like it go for it!

The meaning of Rivka has actually been debated about quite a lot by Rabbinical scholars. Some will tell you it means "young calf" symbolizing innocence, while others say it means "noose", "snare", "bind" or "captivating beauty."
    "Four be the things I'd have been better without: love, curiosity, freckles and doubt." -Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by freckles
    The meaning of Rivka has actually been debated about quite a lot by Rabbinical scholars. Some will tell you it means "young calf" symbolizing innocence, while others say it means "noose", "snare", "bind" or "captivating beauty."
    Thank you for all your insight freckles. Once I actually get prego again i will need help w my list. I just want to discuss a few names with the berries before I bring it up to the hubby.