Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rivka WDYT?

Rivka WDYT?

I am revamping my girls name list. I really like the name Rivka pronounced Riv (like Liv)-KA. Does it make a good sibset w Miró and Lila (pronounced lee-la)? Do you better see one of these names w my Lila and Miró? Thought it might help if you knew what my kids look like: Lila has medium blonde hair, bright blues eyes and fair skin. Miró is a toe head and I think will have green or hazel eyes (hard to tell he is only 2 months old). My next child could be darker since DH has an italian coloring while I'm the blonde green eyed one.

Clementine- i think its to long and frilly for my sibset and I feel like its getting too pop. DH loves it
    Cameo- i think its too much O with Miró
    Zinnia- love
    Ocean- pronounced oshan not the french way
    Paloma- its getting a bit pop for me
    Pippy- Dh loves im Not convinced

Thanx,
    Meryl

Re: Rivka WDYT?

Rivka happens to be my hebrew name and of course I love it. I'm from New York so if I were to come across a Rivka I'd assume they were from a religious (Orthodox) Jewish family, since that is who tends to use the name these days. If that's not a problem for you then use it. I like some of the other names on your list better with your other children though, Rivka seems very old-testament/hebrew to me while your other names sound more current. Anyway, I really like Paloma and Zinnia. I think they aren't too matchy but have the exotic vibe your other names do.
    "Four be the things I'd have been better without: love, curiosity, freckles and doubt." -Dorothy Parker

Clementine- i think its to long and frilly for my sibset: I agree... not bad though
    Cameo- i think its too much O with Miró: I think so too
    Zinnia- love: really like, think it has the right feel for your sibset
    Ocean- pronounced oshan not the french way: for me, this is too much of a common word to work well as a name...
    Paloma- its getting a bit pop for me: I like this, but it seems like you might prefer something more exotic-sounding?
    Pippy- Dh loves im Not convinced: I think that to most people, this name will always and forever be property of Ms. Longstocking :D

I have never heard Rivka (maybe because there is not a big Jewish community where I live.) I like that it adds even more muticultural variety to your set, but it sounds quite strange to my ears.

I really like Zinnia and Paloma, though! I think both have the right balance of sounding exotic but somewhat familiar. One thing to consider with Zinnia-- the way I pronounce it (ZEE-nya) has exactly the same vowel pattern as Lila (EE-a in both cases.) I don't necessarily think this is a problem, but Paloma would give a bit more sound variety. On the other hand, Miro also has that EE as the first vowel, so I suppose Zinnia would keep it consistent. This may not be helpful or important to you, but just thought I'd mention it in case!

Quote Originally Posted by freckles
    Rivka happens to be my hebrew name and of course I love it. I'm from New York so if I were to come across a Rivka I'd assume they were from a religious (Orthodox) Jewish family, since that is who tends to use the name these days. If that's not a problem for you then use it. I like some of the other names on your list better with your other children though, Rivka seems very old-testament/hebrew to me while your other names sound more current. Anyway, I really like Paloma and Zinnia. I think they aren't too matchy but have the exotic vibe your other names do.
    Thank you for your reply. I know that Rivka is a form of Rebecca, which is a name widely used in the jewish community. We are not jewish. Would it be offensive to use Rivka if we are NOT jewish? I associate Asher with a jewish child but have seen non jewish families use it too.

Quote Originally Posted by hoodie
    Clementine- i think its to long and frilly for my sibset: I agree... not bad though
    Cameo- i think its too much O with Miró: I think so too
    Zinnia- love: really like, think it has the right feel for your sibset
    Ocean- pronounced oshan not the french way: for me, this is too much of a common word to work well as a name...
    Paloma- its getting a bit pop for me: I like this, but it seems like you might prefer something more exotic-sounding?
    Pippy- Dh loves im Not convinced: I think that to most people, this name will always and forever be property of Ms. Longstocking :D

I have never heard Rivka (maybe because there is not a big Jewish community where I live.) I like that it adds even more muticultural variety to your set, but it sounds quite strange to my ears.

I really like Zinnia and Paloma, though! I think both have the right balance of sounding exotic but somewhat familiar. One thing to consider with Zinnia-- the way I pronounce it (ZEE-nya) has exactly the same vowel pattern as Lila (EE-a in both cases.) I don't necessarily think this is a problem, but Paloma would give a bit more sound variety. On the other hand, Miro also has that EE as the first vowel, so I suppose Zinnia would keep it consistent. This may not be helpful or important to you, but just thought I'd mention it in case!
    I would pronounce Zinnia ZIN- e -ah. I agree Pippy does remind me of longstocking but many people still think of Clementine from "oh my darling Clementine", so maybe DH is ahead of the naming curve and Pippy might be the next berri favorite! Pippy is almost like Poppy and Pippa 2 very well recieved names around here. I just dont think i could say that name various times a day.