Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: How to spell/pronounce Edie with a Y

Have you thought about adding a second barrel to that name to pull in the Y? No solution seems terribly graceful, but rather than (I think) mangle Edie, how about something like.. Edie-May (Not.. necessarily that, but I'm drawing a bit of a blank!)

I think Edy would be the best spelling if you want a y. It's the simplest solution.

I think the cons outweigh the pros of putting a y in Edie. Sorry :(

Quote Originally Posted by devon7
    I think the cons outweigh the pros of putting a y in Edie. Sorry :(
    /

Yeah. I agree. I don't see why there needs to be a Y in her name anyway... I'd definitely rather have a correctly spelled name than an overly matchy name with my sisters, anyway. If the Y needs to be there, I would suggest using Edey/Edy as a nickname so she doesn't have to go through life with any confusion that will most likely come about.

Good luck!
    cordelia ~ jessamine ~ alice ~ louisa ~ maeve ~ julia ~ eloise ~ fiona ~ genevieve
    matthias ~ william ~ henry ~ finn ~ benjamin ~ frederick ~ leander

Have you considered Edie as a nickname for a Y-spelled variant of Edith? Edith seems easier to incorporate the Y into--Edyth and Edythe were both reasonably well-used in the past--and that way, all your kids' names would have Y's in them, but you could use the most intuitive spelling of Edie for her nickname.
    Mum to Primrose Victoria and a baby on the way!