Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Phoebe or Penelope?

I find that I love them both equally. I find good AND bad qualities in both of them.

With Phoebe, I love its spunkiness and the possibility of the nn Bee. When I hear it, I see intelligence and kindness. However, I also find it to be a bit "old lady-ish". I've never heard of/met a Phoebe that wasn't over 60!

Penelope...it's beautiful. I love the mythology connections and the possibility of the nn's Nelle/Poppy. It just sounds so elegant to me. On the other hand, I agree that I can't really see it on a human child/person. I've never met one, and I'd be more likely to name a pet Penelope than a daughter. I also have a great dislike for the nn Penny (don't like the sound at all), and that's what a Penelope is generally shortened to. People outside of this community don't think of Nelle or Poppy. I am also really, really put off by the meaning of the name- "duck." It bugs me so much that I could never, ever use this name. =(

I'd go for Phoebe first.

Penelope- hands down. I know a Penelope (she goes by Penny) and she is awesome. I met her when I was 18 and she was around 40, we were in a play together. She had two sons and always talked about how she was going to go home after rehearsal and have sex with her husband. But she talked about it in a very funny way, not a creepy way. She's British. She's one of the nicest people I've ever met and everyone loves her. I also think of Penny from Lost and Penny from Pee-wee's Playhouse, haha. I know a lot of people on here don't love Penny, but I love it a lot more than Poppy. Though I do like Polly as a nn for Penelope.

Phoebe is cute, but it's quite little-girlish to me. I think of The Catcher in the Rye, Mystic Pizza, and Phoebe in Wonderland. The only adult Phoebe I've seen is in Friends, and she wasn't exactly adult-like. I do think it's cute, but I don't really like saying it "Feee-beee", it also reminds me of Mr. Feeney from Boy Meets World.
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Quote Originally Posted by rachelmarie
    I pretty much completely agree with you. I love the name Penelope but find Phoebe a little annoying.
    Penelope is fun, pretty, classic, and cute. While I love the name Phoebe only because of the book Catcher in the Rye, I still am a little bothered by it. Penelope is much better.
    DITTO

This is just the way I feel about Penelope and I have felt like this for a very long time. I think it is an ugly name and the lope part reminds me of a wolf.

Penny though is a lovely sweet name and very usable.
    Psalm 23