Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Boris in the USA

We chose this name for our baby boy because of the Russian origin of our family. Though the stress is on the second syllable "Bor-ee-s", we don't mind about pronouncing it as "B-O-ris". In Russian language this is a very strong and cool name for a boy/a man, it's also unique this years. There are plenty famous non-Russian Borises - Boris Becker, Boris the mayor of London etc.
    Short name for Boris would be B-o-rya, B-o-rik.
    What do you think about our choice? How does it sound to you? Any association with this name?

Re: Boris in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by olya
    We chose this name for our baby boy because of the Russian origin of our family. Though the stress is on the second syllable "Bor-ee-s", we don't mind about pronouncing it as "B-O-ris". In Russian language this is a very strong and cool name for a boy/a man, it's also unique this years. There are plenty famous non-Russian Borises - Boris Becker, Boris the mayor of London etc.
    What do you think about our choice? How does it sound to you? Any association with this name?
    After reading your post i think its great! However i think he will probably be teased for it, but as long as you teach him of his heritage maybe he will get all the other kids thinking Boris is the coolest name around:)

Quote Originally Posted by devinjes
    After reading your post i think its great! However i think he will probably be teased for it, but as long as you teach him of his heritage maybe he will get all the other kids thinking Boris is the coolest name around:)
    Thank you!
    Could you tell me what could be the reason for teasing? I'm new to the USA, so I really don't know

Quote Originally Posted by devinjes
    Thank you!
    Could you tell me what could be the reason for teasing? I'm new to the USA, so I really don't know
    Your Welcome:)
    Oh and i dont think the teasing would be severe, more playful school yard sort of things, like Boring Boris or Bor-Ass, silly things like that, similar to Smelly Ellie sort of teasing. And with all the Aydins and Addysins, Boris will probably seem sort of plain and old school so he might get the "you have an old guy name" but, I dont think (and cant) think of anything really mean or hurtful that could be said though., i think it will be fine and i think he will really appreciate it when he gets old enough to understand his Russian background and heritage.
    Good Luck! :)

/