Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Otis?

Otis?

Just curious... wdyt of Otis nn Oz? Yea or nay?
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." ~Salman Rushdie

Re: Otis?

Nay
    Psalm 23

I <3 Otis. And using Oz as a nickname is pure brilliance. I love Oz even more than Otis. I don't think I'd use Otis, but that's just because I'm a little bit chicken, I think it's a super cool name and it reminds me of one of my favorite songs by Everclear called "Otis Redding", and, of course, Otis Redding himself!

I don't know where you live, but Otis wouldn't go over well in my crowd, I don't think. If your friends and family are hip and name-nerdy enough then I'm sure they'd love it!
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Yes! Another Otis lover here! It's so jazzy and understated cool, I think it's perfect for a little boy, a teenager and a man of any age, it works on every level and Oz is ingenious! If you love it go for it:)

Good Luck!

-Charlie
    "Be the change that you wish to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi

please check out my list!: http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9785307

Thanks for the input, guys! :)

Actually, I also happen to prefer Oz, and while I know it's a legit name by itself, it still feels incomplete to me. And I know that if I went with, say, Oswald, I'd end up using nn Waldo instead. Haha~ I figured Otis would work better, and it's a little more recognizable than Ozias (which I also like). And I agree that it's the sort of name that grows with a person. :)

As for it going over well in my crowd...well, my family for the most part would be cool with it, and it's just recognizable enough that kiddos'll be warm to it, too. I'm not terribly worried about adults I don't know because, um. It's none if their business. Haha, so I don't want to stress over strangers. I would just hope a little boy/young man/old fogey would like this name if it were his...
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." ~Salman Rushdie