Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which -a names *would* work?

OK, just for fun and out of curiousity. . . I've been avoiding all 2 syllable names that end in A, thinking them too close in sound to Isla. But. . .a lot of names that end in the Y sound sound too. . cutesy for my taste - Molly, Lucy, Maisy, Darcy, etc.

So, what names ending in A could work with Isla, and I don't necessarily need you to come up with names in particular, but, like what qualities should they have?

I really appreciate all of your help lately! This is me "taking a break" from looking at names:) I not really good at the break part, but I am looking at things a little differently, trying to think outside the box a bit! Anyway, thanks, really!

Re: Which -a names *would* work?

Well, for starters any three or four syllable name that ends in a wouldn't be too matchy or rhymey with Isla. But, I would focus more on avoiding the l sound than on the ending a sound, because the l sound is so prominent (the only consonant sound) in Isla. So, a name like Molly (aside from the fact that you don't like it) might be too tongue twister-y with Isla because the both have that strong l, regardless of the fact that they end in different sounds. A name like Rita, on the other hand, while it is another two-syllable name ending with an a, doesn't sound anything like Isla, and the two names said together balance quite well, because the hard t offsets the soft l.
    Mom of one daughter, age 2, and name-enthusiast

Kelli,

I would:

1) Avoid a strong vowel sound at the start (e.g., Anna, Elsa, Orla, Ula), as it is closer to Isla.

2) Most importantly, I would avoid a heavy L sound, like the one in Isla (e.g., avoid Layla, Orla, Ula, Alla, Perla, etc.), as they are just too similar. Don't choose a name ending in -LA!

So, I'd choose something with an R sound, as I think it pairs nicely with Isla, or maybe an S sound (e.g., Mara - Maura - and Risa are good).

Good luck!

Lemon :-)
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Favorites - Eliza, Phoebe, Juliet, Archer, Ronan, Jude

Definitely not a vowel, like suggested above. I like the way Isla sounds with Gemma, Mia (Mee-Uh), Cara, Nora, and Rosa for example. No "eye" sounds and no "l" sounds. Isla is such a beatiful name! GL!
    Adelaide, Annabel, Audrey, Aurelia, Avalon, Catherine, Daisy, Elizabeth, Felicity, Gemma, Genevieve, Helena, Isabeau, January, June, Juniper, Juno, Kate, Laine, Liv, Lucy, Luna, Matilda, Mira, Pearl, Penelope, Seraphina, Snow, Tessa, Vesper, Violet, Winter

Asher Gregory James . Leo Sebastian North
    Archer, August, Beau, Benjamin, Caspian, Daniel, Donovan, Felix, Finn, Florin, Flynn, Forest, Fox, Hugo, Joshua, Vaughn

Have you thought of names with a harder consonant sound? like -n.

Isla Lynn
    Isla Caroline
    Isla Diane (or Dayne)
    etc...