Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nevaeh?!

Re: Nevaeh?!

Hi, Savvy!

I definitely see where you are coming from. Putting aside all that is bad about this name - a lot! - here are my thoughts:

Nevaeh has a pleasing, feminine, yet strong sound. I compare it to Olivia, which has a soft sound bolstered by a strong, prominent V sound, anchoring the name. In my opinion, this balance makes for a pleasing, feminine melody. I also find Sariah very similar to Nevaeh in sound, syllables, and flow, though Sariah is comparably softer than Nevaeh. So, I definitely see the appeal in the way the name sounds.

What is the biggest issue with the name, for me? The way it looks! The way a name - or word - looks is just as important for me as how it sounds. I like Charlotte because it looks clean, organized, and put together - yes, a name can look like that! I like Anna because it looks simple, calm, and pretty. I prefer Juliet to Juliette because it looks polished, simple, and sophisticated - the extra letters clutter the name for me. Nevaeh, in contrast, looks like a mess of letters - it has no organization, no symmetry, no balance. This, to me, is more a problem than the fact that it is merely "heaven" spelled backwards...

Take care!

Lemon :-)
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude

Quote Originally Posted by lemon
    Hi, Savvy!

I definitely see where you are coming from. Putting aside all that is bad about this name - a lot! - here are my thoughts:

Nevaeh has a pleasing, feminine, yet strong sound. I compare it to Olivia, which has a soft sound bolstered by a strong, prominent V sound, anchoring the name. In my opinion, this balance makes for a pleasing, feminine melody. I also find Sariah very similar to Nevaeh in sound, syllables, and flow, though Sariah is comparably softer than Nevaeh. So, I definitely see the appeal in the way the name sounds.

What is the biggest issue with the name, for me? The way it looks! The way a name - or word - looks is just as important for me as how it sounds. I like Charlotte because it looks clean, organized, and put together - yes, a name can look like that! I like Anna because it looks simple, calm, and pretty. I prefer Juliet to Juliette because it looks polished, simple, and sophisticated - the extra letters clutter the name for me. Nevaeh, in contrast, looks like a mess of letters - it has no organization, no symmetry, no balance. This, to me, is more a problem than the fact that it is merely "heaven" spelled backwards...

Take care!

Lemon :-)
    I agree. Neveah's sound or meaning are not so much the issue for me as the spelling. For example, if it was spelled Nivea (yes, yes like the lotion)--just one leter different--I would probably like it.

Neveah-bashing is one of most Nameberryite's favorite things to do. And I'll admit I'm not fond of it. But for me it's the spelling and not the meaning.

I really wish I could take part in the Nevaeh bashing! I guess it is just one of those guilty pleasure names!! You know, one of those names that goes against everything you're for? Others for me are Conrad, Axel, Ryder, North, and Shiloh. None of which I feel quite as guilty about as I do with Nevaeh. Hey- might as well lay all my cards on the table right?!

I loved Lemon's impressive essay on the subject... especially her description of liking names to look clean, polished, and organized! I'm another who doesn't care for Nevaeh, BUT...

BostonSavvy, I am sure your reputation is not ruined. I certainly do not think less of you for liking the "N" name, really! We don't all like the same names. PLEASE don't feel badly! Your honesty and openness are wonderful!
    Mother of three teenagers: (1) Daniel Glen, (2) Timothy Austin, and (3) Rebecca Jane. All middle names honor family, with Jane used three generations in a row. (A second girl would have been Susanna Eve.

Quote Originally Posted by bostonsavvy
    I really wish I could take part in the Nevaeh bashing! I guess it is just one of those guilty pleasure names!! You know, one of those names that goes against everything you're for? Others for me are Conrad, Axel, Ryder, North, and Shiloh. None of which I feel quite as guilty about as I do with Nevaeh. Hey- might as well lay all my cards on the table right?!
    Sure! I like some very non-Nameberry names too. It makes us all different. If we all liked the same names, we wouldn't have anything to talk about. (Or, at least, our interesting forums would be very, very bland. "I like this one" "Me too!" "Me too!") I secretly like the name Haley--it was the name of a childhood toy.