Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Frederick nn Red and sibsets, etc. Skip to page 2

I really like Basil pronounced Bay-zul (I'm not very good at writing out pronunciations... what I mean is the same way you say the herb). I don't like it said Baa-zul or bah-zul, though (well, I like it on British guys in old movies, but not for a son!). I started liking this name because of the new show Life Unexpected where there is a character named Nathan Basil, who goes by Baze. I'm not sure how well the name Basil would go over (in California and Pennsylvania). Is Blaise better?
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Re: Basil?

Hey Lyndsay! (I gave you the chocolate icing recipe on the other thread, and just remembered that I used it on a banana cake, which was great.) I think that Basil is a really cool name. The Basil I know (he's older) pronounces his name like Bazz-il, but baze-il seems more logical to me, especially because it's how the herb is pronounced in the US.

I'm thinking that Dashiell and Basil are kind of similar though. Hmm...I remember when you mentioned Blaise before, and I thought it was really handsome. I can totally see Dashiell and Blaise (you could still call him Baze), and if Dashiell and Basil aren't too similar for you (I guess it's just the L endings), I think it's cool.

What would the middles be?

Take care!

Oh!!! I totally thought of you the other day!!! Hot off the heels of the Paul Blart: Mall Cop fiasco, I was sucked into watching the first 30 mintues or so of the Hannah Montana movie. It's still too painful to talk about...

Haha, the Hannah Montana movie... I haven't seen that one yet. One of my guilty pleasures is the Lizzie McGuire movie, though, so I might possibly actually like it. I have a thing for really bad, teen movies (Drive Me Crazy, Princess Diaries one AND two, etc.). I mostly watch them when I'm sick, though.

I saw the recipe and it sounds delicious (Chris would be in heaven if it were on banana cake, that's his favorite!). But sadly I'm not making the cake. Ended up getting one at Costco because I've been so swamped and stressed lately. Blah blah blah. It is pretty cute though, it has a caterpillar on it and they wrote "Happy Birthday Dash!". Oh! And they had two big jars of Nutella for $8.00! What a bargain! And Dash has had a crepe with jelly and banana every morning since you gave me that recipe, and I still have a bunch frozen. Thank you!

I'm glad that you like the Bay-zul pronunciation. It occurred to me, too, that it's too similar to Dashiell. It probably would never make my short list anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter much. I'm just always on the lookout for B names, and I really like Baze. I really like Blaise (a lot)... but I feel like, hmm, it seems like it's trying too hard, with Dashiell. But on the other hand, that might make them perfect for each other... Both very uncommon, both have a soft look, but (in my opinion) masculine connotation (Dash and Blaze). I don't know what genre they are, though, I mean Dashiell isn't really classic or traditional or vintage or *anything* really, it's actually mostly modern I guess, but doesn't feel that way to me. Blaise is ancient, but feels modern because of the blaze connection. Hmm, I know I'm overthinking this. No one even thinks about this stuff other than all of us... and I'm not having another baby for probably 4 years. Still...

So know why I'm writing so much? I'm supposed to be doing homework. That's what happens when you try to do homework on the computer when you're too tired! Sheesh!

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco

Can you think of anything Frisco could be a nickname for other than Francisco? I've racked my brain and I can't. I think Frisco is such a fun nickname, but Chris doesn't like Francisco (and maybe I don't quite love it for my own child, either, I like it on other people, though). What about any other fun/unusual nicknames? Here's what I have so far:

Ace - Angus (love this, what do you think?)
    Frisco - Francisco
    Indie - Indiana, Indio
    Link - Lincoln
    Sully/Van - Sullivan (I don't like this, though)
    Augie- August
    Hardy/Hart - Richard
    Oz- Oscar, Ozias, etc.
    Rusty/Rush - Russell
    West - Wesley
    Domino- Dominic
    Dex - Declan/Dexter
    Ziggy - Isaac

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

-James Franco

Quote Originally Posted by lyndsayjenness
    Haha, the Hannah Montana movie... I haven't seen that one yet. One of my guilty pleasures is the Lizzie McGuire movie, though, so I might possibly actually like it. I have a thing for really bad, teen movies (Drive Me Crazy, Princess Diaries one AND two, etc.). I mostly watch them when I'm sick, though.

I saw the recipe and it sounds delicious (Chris would be in heaven if it were on banana cake, that's his favorite!). But sadly I'm not making the cake. Ended up getting one at Costco because I've been so swamped and stressed lately. Blah blah blah. It is pretty cute though, it has a caterpillar on it and they wrote "Happy Birthday Dash!". Oh! And they had two big jars of Nutella for $8.00! What a bargain! And Dash has had a crepe with jelly and banana every morning since you gave me that recipe, and I still have a bunch frozen. Thank you!

I'm glad that you like the Bay-zul pronunciation. It occurred to me, too, that it's too similar to Dashiell. It probably would never make my short list anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter much. I'm just always on the lookout for B names, and I really like Baze. I really like Blaise (a lot)... but I feel like, hmm, it seems like it's trying too hard, with Dashiell. But on the other hand, that might make them perfect for each other... Both very uncommon, both have a soft look, but (in my opinion) masculine connotation (Dash and Blaze). I don't know what genre they are, though, I mean Dashiell isn't really classic or traditional or vintage or *anything* really, it's actually mostly modern I guess, but doesn't feel that way to me. Blaise is ancient, but feels modern because of the blaze connection. Hmm, I know I'm overthinking this. No one even thinks about this stuff other than all of us... and I'm not having another baby for probably 4 years. Still...

So know why I'm writing so much? I'm supposed to be doing homework. That's what happens when you try to do homework on the computer when you're too tired! Sheesh!
    I can't believe I'm still awake! I wasn't feeling well and slept all day, so now I'm wide awake. I actually like cheesy teen movies, too, and thought the Lizze McGuire movie was really cute. (I love The Princess Diaries, too, and will watch anything involving Julie Andrews. I'd even watch her reading out of a telephone book.)

Dash's cake sounds really cute! I hope he has/had a happy birthday! :-)

Two large jars of Nutella for only $8.00? Wow! High-fives to Costco!

I'm so glad that Dash is enjoying his crepes! For breakfast, I love filling mine with yogurt and bananas. Oh! I forgot to tell you that I bought the marshmallow creme and made the best peanut butter/marshmallow dip for apples. Let me know if you want the recipe...

I know what you mean about Dashiell's name. I was thinking that its style is "jaunty." When I looked up jaunty, just to make sure I had the right term (I did) :-), I found descriptions like "stylish," "chic," "genteel," "self-confident," "brisk," "crisp," and "dapper," which all fit Dashiell to me. I picture an intelligent, stylish, sophisticated, romantic, aristocratic European man when I hear Dashiell, and Basil and Blaise are the same way for me.

Other names with that feel to me:

Augustin
    Ambrose
    Byron
    Barnaby
    Conrad
    Clive
    Felix
    Hugo
    Lionel
    Milo
    Otto
    Piers
    Quillen
    Raphael
    Sebastian
    Thaddeus
    Winston

I love Dashiell's name! :-)

I hope that school is going well for you! :-)

Talk to you later....