Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Could Izzy be a nn for Ines/Inez?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Totally!

13 86.67%
  • Ummm....No.

2 13.33%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Could Izzy be a nn for Ines/Inez?

Or is is a stretch?

Re: Could Izzy be a nn for Ines/Inez?

I would say absolutely yes, but here's what comes to mind, and it's occurred to me with a lot of other popular name/nickname combinations: Why choose a nickname that's FAR more popular and trendy than the proper name? To me, choosing Izzy -- cute, but pandemic thanks to the legions of little Isabellas and Isabels, not to mention Isaacs and Isaiahs -- is so much less distinctive than Inez or Ines.

I guess the point might be to give your child an easy-to-like nickname with a more special and perhaps difficult formal name to fall back on, and that's fine. But sometimes it seems as if parents are picking these distinctive names and then backing away from them by using a more ordinary nickname.
    Pam Satran
    Nameberry

Quote Originally Posted by pam
    I would say absolutely yes, but here's what comes to mind, and it's occurred to me with a lot of other popular name/nickname combinations: Why choose a nickname that's FAR more popular and trendy than the proper name? To me, choosing Izzy -- cute, but pandemic thanks to the legions of little Isabellas and Isabels, not to mention Isaacs and Isaiahs -- is so much less distinctive than Inez or Ines.

I guess the point might be to give your child an easy-to-like nickname with a more special and perhaps difficult formal name to fall back on, and that's fine. But sometimes it seems as if parents are picking these distinctive names and then backing away from them by using a more ordinary nickname.
    Wow! Thanks for your response, Pam!
    You hit the nail on the head with that one. While I love the name Ines/Inez, I'm not sure my family and friends would get the appeal. I am confident, however, that they would think the nn Izzy is adorably acceptable.
    Also, I was thinking that Ines/Inez might be an exotic name for a little girl to pull off so Izzy might be a fun alternative while in childhood.

I appreciate, very much, your response!

Tara

It's a cute nickname but do you also have a daughter Bella? If you have one Bella and one Izzy it may seem they are both named Isabella!

Quote Originally Posted by gwensmom
    It's a cute nickname but do you also have a daughter Bella? If you have one Bella and one Izzy it may seem they are both named Isabella!
    Thanks for your response gwensmom!
    We do have a Bella but it's just Bella. It did occur to me that Izzy is often a nn for Isabel/Isabella. I was thinking it might be fun to surprise those who would assume that it was short for those names instead of Ines/Inez.

I haven't even asked my hubby if he likes Ines/Inez yet. I'm just trying to get my arguments ready... I think he thinks Izzy is cute.

Thanks again!

Tara