Names Searched Right Now:

Thread: thoughts...

thoughts...

I need some opinions on some names that I've chosen for two girls. I'm not pregnant nor do I see it happening soon, but my friends are all getting married and having babies so I've been thinking about it.
    I want to name my girls after my grandmothers and great-grandmothers. My mom's grandmother's name is Genoveva, and my mom's mom is Magda. My dad's grandmother is Wilhelmina and his mom is Phyllis.
    The two names I came up with are: Genoveva Magdalene and Willamena Phylline.
    Lemme know what you think. Thanks.

Re: thoughts...

PS. I was thinking Genny and Willa for short.

Quote Originally Posted by kmsheehy
    I need some opinions on some names that I've chosen for two girls. I'm not pregnant nor do I see it happening soon, but my friends are all getting married and having babies so I've been thinking about it.
    I want to name my girls after my grandmothers and great-grandmothers. My mom's grandmother's name is Genoveva, and my mom's mom is Magda. My dad's grandmother is Wilhelmina and his mom is Phyllis.
    I would absolutely love to meet sisters named Genoveva and Willemina!!

Even though I love Genoveva (I think it's such an interesting, obscure choice) I much prefer Genevieve and Ginevra... Genoveva Magdalene is a little clunky and long, but I think it's a great combo in spite of that.

I'm not so sure about Willamena Phylline-- first of all, Willamena isn't a legit spelling. To soften up clunkier Wilhelmina, you could use the Dutch form, Willemina. Also, Willemina Phylline has a lot of EEN sounds-- I would prefer just Willemina Phyllis.

For nicknames, my personal preference would be Vivi and Mina, but Genny and Willa are also adorable.
    cordelia ~ jessamine ~ alice ~ louisa ~ maeve ~ julia ~ eloise ~ fiona ~ genevieve
    matthias ~ william ~ henry ~ finn ~ benjamin ~ frederick ~ leander

Quote Originally Posted by kmsheehy
    Love. I was thinking it might be nicer if each girl had one name from dad's side and one from mom's. So:
    Genoveva Phylline
    Willamena Magdalene

I love Genoveva and Willamena (though I would spell this Wilhelmina or Willemina or maybe Willamina...yes, I like Willamina best, for sure.). I think they need something a little more modern in the middle, though. How about

Do you like Marla in place of Madgalene? It's greek and means high tower, just like Magda! Plus it's just two letters different, and so cute!

I love Willamina Marla (though it's a bit M heavy) or Genoveva Marla. I also love Marla Genevieve a lot.

Phyllis is easier to find a replacement for, it means "green bough" so anything green or tree related would be nice. Something Greek would be best:
    **Chloe- young green shoot
    Midori - japanese green
    Verdi - green

Eila - Hebrew- oak tree
    **Daphne - Greek - Laurel Tree
    **Perry - English - Pear Tree (this one really works for me)
    Kezia - Hebrew - Cassia tree
    Olivia - Latin - Olive Tree
    Geneva - French - Juniper tree (You might like this instead of Geneveva)

Geneveva Perry - I LOVE this!
    Genoveva Chloe - this, too.
    Willamena Verdi
    Willamena Midori - again with too much M, but I really like this!
    Daphne Willamena - <3
    Proud mama to two sweet boys:

Dashiell David Rowe
    and
    Flynn William Warfield

"Real babies are more difficult than ideas of babies... Or even pictures of babies."
    -James Franco