Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Favourite pop culture names

Everyone is freaking out because they don't want their names to be associated with the latest fad, or newest hurricane. But I say, if you worry about those reprecussions long enough you'll run out of names.

So why don't be start talking about the names we DO love because of pop culture, the movies, musicals, books, authors and general category that started us loving our names!

I'll start of course!

I got Evangeline a few years ago before it started it's steady upward climb and I heard it in Nanny McPhee. Evangeline had a true Cinderella story in the movie and wanted to learn to read, these were both big pluses to me!

Jasper I found after my Twi-session took ahold, though I love the biblical referances and nature quality.

More names I love and why-

Marlowe (Christopher Marlowe)
    Eponine (Les Mes)
    Marius (Les Mes)
    Thisbe (The Bard)
    Ophelia ('')
    Aurora (the princess)
    Elizabeth (Elizabeth, 1)

Enjoy the thread!
    Writer of The Mod Podge Bookshelf, author of some books, lover of sticky notes and names!

Current favorite girls: Beatrix, Elizabeth, Gwendolyn, Helena, Isobel, Jemima, Margo, Rose, Tigerlily & Zora

Current favorite boys: Callum, Damian, Gideon, Henry, Jonah, Laughlin, Leo & Oscar

Re: Favourite pop culture names

I love a lot of names that are from my favorite singers, books, authors, and so on. I understand perfectly! (:

Claudia, Ursula, Vittorio, Louis, Lestat, Madeleine, Armand, Memnoch, Felix, Celeste, Estelle, Gretchen, Zenobia, Marius, Bianca - The Vampire Chronicles.
    Edgar, Allan, Poe - Well, that's sort of obvious. Edgar Allan Poe was one of my favorite authors. Poe would be a nickname or a name for an animal, though.
    Arthur - Bram Stoker's Dracula; Arthurian Legend; Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. In Bram Stoker's Dracula, he was nicknamed "Art".
    Emilie, Autumn - Emilie Autumn is a singer whom is known for her 'Victorian' style and sound.
    Sherlock, Mycroft, Irene, Mary - Sherlock Holmes.
    Jonathan, Lucy, Wilhelmina "Mina", Abraham - Bram Stoker's Dracula. Abraham is also Abraham "Bram" Stoker's name.
    Oscar - Oscar Wilde.
    Dorian, Gladys, Sibyl, Henry, Basil - The Picture of Dorian Gray.
    Silas - Perfect Creature and The Da Vinci Code.
    Ludwig - Ludwig Von Beethoven.
    Casper - Casper the Friendly Ghost. xD
    Lolita - I haven't read Vladimir Navbok's book, but I think it has bad connections overall.
    Peter, Caspian, Lucy, Susan, Aslan, Jadis - Narnia (movies for me).

And many, many others. xD

Re: Favourite pop culture names

Lois, Lana, Lex - No explanation needed here. Lois is one of those great names nobody's using anymore.
    Ayla, Violet, Zoe, Laurel, Jenni, Drake - Legion of Super-Heroes, another DC comic most people have never heard of.
    Honor, Alistair, Hamish, Mercedes, Iris, Lois (again!), Prescott - Honor Harrington. Yes, the series is a guilty pleasure, and the eponymous heroine is one of the worst Mary-Sues in history. But David Weber uses some good names.

Quote Originally Posted by spiderweb View Post
    I love a lot of names that are from my favorite singers, books, authors, and so on. I understand perfectly! (:

Claudia, Ursula, Vittorio, Louis, Lestat, Madeleine, Armand, Memnoch, Felix, Celeste, Estelle, Gretchen, Zenobia, Marius, Bianca - The Vampire Chronicles.
    Edgar, Allan, Poe - Well, that's sort of obvious. Edgar Allan Poe was one of my favorite authors. Poe would be a nickname or a name for an animal, though.
    Arthur - Bram Stoker's Dracula; Arthurian Legend; Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. In Bram Stoker's Dracula, he was nicknamed "Art".
    Emilie, Autumn - Emilie Autumn is a singer whom is known for her 'Victorian' style and sound.
    Sherlock, Mycroft, Irene, Mary - Sherlock Holmes.
    Jonathan, Lucy, Wilhelmina "Mina", Abraham - Bram Stoker's Dracula. Abraham is also Abraham "Bram" Stoker's name.
    Oscar - Oscar Wilde.
    Dorian, Gladys, Sibyl, Henry, Basil - The Picture of Dorian Gray.
    Silas - Perfect Creature and The Da Vinci Code.
    Ludwig - Ludwig Von Beethoven.
    Casper - Casper the Friendly Ghost. xD
    Lolita - I haven't read Vladimir Navbok's book, but I think it has bad connections overall.
    Peter, Caspian, Lucy, Susan, Aslan, Jadis - Narnia (movies for me).

And many, many others. xD
    You basically just used my favorites list. I guess great minds think alike? I would probably add a list for comics though as I am a huge Batman fan (Bruce, Grayson, Talia, Harely Quinn, Ivy (Poison Ivy), Selina Kyle, Alfred Thaddeus Crane Pennyworth, Arkham, Lucius Fox, Oliver, Jack, Basil, etc) I don't feel like a nut anymore since I am not the only one who loves these names for those same reasons. People make fun of me and say that my children will hate me, but these are just classic names to me. Anyway, spiderweb, it is just nice to see someone with similar tastes.

I like:

Draven - The Crow... I was entirely set on naming someone Draven from about 11 on through adolescence. We probably won't use it, but I still have a soft spot for it.
    Arwen - Gorgeous. I know it's a legitimate name, but I count it as a pop culture name.
    Lolita - Such a pretty name! I almost don't care about the connection, but I know it'd be a problem for her.
    Dilbert - So cute!
    Eulalie
    Lenore - On our list, mostly in the middle.
    Juno

I'm having some trouble thinking of them. I'll come back if I can remember.
    Last edited by katushka; July 11th, 2012 at 04:31 AM.