Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Help! A twin for Dotty.

Marigold is very cute..I like the nn Maisy too..

Thank you all so much - you gave some wonderful suggestions! Our list as it stands now is :

Calanthe nn Annie
    Delphine - nn ?
    Gardenia (nn Nia/Gardie?) - do you just see garden?
    Genoveva nn Nova
    Marigold nn Maggie
    Minerva nn Minnie
    Verity - there was a virtue names theme going on my mothers side of the family, and I quite like the idea of continuing it. This is our favourite virtue name - no nns that we like, but it might be nice for Jasper not to be the only one who isnt always nicknamed.

Lemon, thank you so much for all of your thoughtful suggestions! We both adore Kizzy, but Im still not sure about Cassia/Kassia Do you know of any other names which could shorten to Kizzy?
    Your alphabet idea is so sweet! And we have Jasper, too, which would fit the pattern if we had a G. We love Gardenia and Genoveva, and they have been added to the list.
    I adore Hosanna, but DH wont be won around oh well, Ill keep trying!

Lilli23, thank you for your compliment! I love your suggestions. Cecily will be a mn, and Alouette is under consideration, too. We added Delphine to the list immediately.

Elea, your list is so wonderful! Thank you so much. Calanthe (my sisters mn) has been added to our list - Id never considered Annie as a nn, and Callie, which I dislike, was the only thing keeping it off the list, so thank you. We added Delphine and Minerva to the list, as well.

Once again, thank you all! I feel we are getting much closer to a decision now.

Calanthe nn Annie: I like it, but I don't really like the pronunciation in English-- would you pronounce it cal-ANN-thee?

Delphine: I love Delphine!! This is my favorite. Nicknames could be Phina, Phini, Del, Della, Dina, Ellie, Fifi...

Gardenia (nn Nia/Gardie?): Yeah... I just think of gardens. it doesn't seem like a name to me.

Genoveva nn Nova: I like it! I've never heard of an actual person named it, but I'd be very intrigued to meet one!

Marigold nn Maggie: I just can't see an actual person named Marigold...

Minerva nn Minnie: I really like Minerva, but I might be in the minority. I also love Minnie as a nickname.

Verity: I don't like it quite as much as your other names.

I LOVE Delphine, and Genoveva and Minerva are also wonderful. Here are some others that might not have been mentioned... sorry for repeats!

Juniper
    Viveca
    Ondine
    Isabeau
    Crispina
    Flavia
    Althea
    Amalthea
    Eliora
    Alethea
    Cloelia
    Linnea
    Sophronia
    Philomela
    Coralie
    Camellia
    Dulcinea
    Celandine
    Clementine
    Celestine
    Melisande
    Ginevra
    Maelys
    Jessamine
    Pomeline
    Phaedra
    Ottilie
    Liliosa
    Cosima
    Hypatia
    Perdita
    Arista
    Amabel
    Pomona
    Melusine
    Clerimond
    Demelza
    Lavinia
    Amarantha
    Galatea
    Eutimia
    Andromeda
    cordelia ~ jessamine ~ alice ~ louisa ~ maeve ~ julia ~ eloise ~ fiona ~ genevieve
    matthias ~ william ~ henry ~ finn ~ benjamin ~ frederick ~ leander

Quote Originally Posted by twinkle
    Thank you all so much - you gave some wonderful suggestions! Our list as it stands now is :

Calanthe nn Annie
    Delphine - nn ?
    Gardenia (nn Nia/Gardie?) - do you just see garden?
    Genoveva nn Nova
    Marigold nn Maggie
    Minerva nn Minnie
    Verity - there was a virtue names theme going on my mothers side of the family, and I quite like the idea of continuing it. This is our favourite virtue name - no nns that we like, but it might be nice for Jasper not to be the only one who isnt always nicknamed.

Lemon, thank you so much for all of your thoughtful suggestions! We both adore Kizzy, but Im still not sure about Cassia/Kassia Do you know of any other names which could shorten to Kizzy?
    Your alphabet idea is so sweet! And we have Jasper, too, which would fit the pattern if we had a G. We love Gardenia and Genoveva, and they have been added to the list.
    I adore Hosanna, but DH wont be won around oh well, Ill keep trying!

Lilli23, thank you for your compliment! I love your suggestions. Cecily will be a mn, and Alouette is under consideration, too. We added Delphine to the list immediately.

Elea, your list is so wonderful! Thank you so much. Calanthe (my sisters mn) has been added to our list - Id never considered Annie as a nn, and Callie, which I dislike, was the only thing keeping it off the list, so thank you. We added Delphine and Minerva to the list, as well.

Once again, thank you all! I feel we are getting much closer to a decision now.
    Hi, Twinkle!

I think my favorite from the list now is actually Verity, surprisingly enough! I don't know if I love it with Dorothea and Ambrosia, given that they are both so long, flowing, and feminine, but in the context of your entire family, it is nice.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Calanthe, Delphine, or honestly Genoveva - which is odd, since I suggested it. Genoveva seems like a mouthful now that I think about it, especially when compared to the lovely Genevieve. Minerva is too obviously mythological for my personal taste, too. Gardenia and Marigold are both very sweet - really, they are - but I do see garden and I can't jump on board with Marigold considering how unpleasant the flowers themselves are...

I'm so glad you liked Kizzy! I see you are still thinking about Kassia being a potential name, so let me think of another:

Keziah - Hebrew - "son of Job," "cassia tree" [also Kezia]

Nameberry actually notes that Kizzy is a variant of Keziah, which I think is a refreshingly sweet and simple name with a great deal of history. Keziah is a Biblical name that was traditionally used for slaves, but, as Pam and Linda say, this name deserves full emancipation! I really like it. What do you think?

I'm throwing up a few more G names, too - sorry if I already suggested these!

Galina - Russian - "clarity" [Lina]
    Generosa - Spanish - "generous," Saint's name [Genni]

Also, some flower names:

Cleantha - Greek - "famous flower" [Cleo, Annie]
    Jessenia - Arabic - "flower" [Jesse]
    Philantha - Greek - "lover of flowers" [Annie, Pippa]
    Sanna - Scandinavian - "lily flower" [Annie]

Good luck with Dorothea's twin sister!

Lemon
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude