Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red-headed Italian!

My husband and I just found out we're expecting a little one in September and since I'm a name junkie, I immediately started thinking about names. Our last name is Montanaro so I really love the idea of going with an Italian first name but my husband is a red-head and I just don't feel right about giving a red-headed little girl an Italian name. That seems off. Don't even bother discussing boys names because my husband is set on having a Junior. These are the names that we really like so far:

If she comes out with brown hair:
    Gabriela
    Sofia
    Alessia

If she comes out with red hair:
    I'm completely in love with the name Gemma but there are two issues with it. 1) his sister's name is Jenna and 2) the name reminds him of Katy Segual on Sons of Anarchy and I guess she's a slutty character, according to Zack.

If she comes out bald:
    Everley
    Haley
    Violet
    Victoria
    Charlotte
    Blakeley

New suggestions are welcome, I'd just like some input and ideas!
    Thanks!

Re: Red-headed Italian!

I think you should choose a name that you love and not worry so much about hair color...I have three children and none of them have the same color hair that they were born with...or eyes..everything can change in months or years...go with your heart, not hair color.
    (I am half Italian and have lots of red and blonde haired people in my family...) My mom is 100% Italian and her name is Juliana...I like Victoria and Charlotte from your list. One of my favorites is Francesca, I think Francie is the cutest nn.
    Best Wishes,
    Kelly

My grandma is a red-headed Italian and so was her dad :) I agree with the previous poster that hair color isn't really that big deal and I wouldn't let it affect my naming choice. Sometimes baby's hair changes color anyway so there is no guarantee the hair she comes out with is the hair she'll keep.

I like:
    Gianna
    Giada
    Dalia
    Gabriela
    Magda
    Talia

They're Italian but they aren't super unsusual in the US. I also really like Gemma/Jemma. (I don't think enough people watch Sons of Anarchy for that to be a big deal.) Good luck

I agree 110% with the other posters: don't let hair color determine the name you pick!

My son was born with stick-straight nearly-black hair and deep blue eyes and now has blonde curls and medium blue/green eyes. As he gets older his hair will most likely turn dark again (just how it usually works with our Scandinavian heritage).

Besides, there is nothing wrong with an Italian name on a red-headed girl! I actually know several red-headed Italians!

Here's my pick out of your names:

Alessia-- definitely the best of your Italian names. Less popular than Sophia and the like, but still beautiful!

Some other names with Italian flair:

Adelina
    Alessandra
    Allegra
    Angelina
    Antonia
    Caramia
    Chiara
    Cosima
    Elettra
    Eliana
    Elisabetta
    Emilia
    Emiliana
    Fiammetta/Fiamma
    Fiorella
    Francesca
    Gia
    Giada
    Gianna
    Gianetta
    Giulia
    Grazia
    Isadora
    Lucia
    Marietta
    Mia
    Minna
    Mirabella
    Nina
    Oriana
    Pietra
    Rachelle
    Renata
    Rosa
    Rosettla
    Serafina
    Tullia
    Vanessa
    Viola
    Violetta
    Vittoria
    Viviana

Just a thought on a boy: would your husband consider using a different means of honoring himself?

You could give your son an international variation of his name (John= Sean, Johan, Jones, Johnson, Jack, Gianni, etc.).

You could also give him a name that starts with the same initial or give your son his father's first name as a middle name (that's the common thing to do in my area).

In my husband's family they pass on a name that starts with the same initial and the same middle name.
    Ex: S. James. Samuel James father to Simon James, father to Sean James, etc. That way you can still be considered a junior in some ways (S. James II, S. James III, etc.).

There are so many ways to honor a father without having to make Juniors!

Sofia is gorgeous and i definitely wouldnt worry about matching a name with hair colour. However loked up Italian names that mean red and i found these darling ones

Rufina
    Sienna
    Ambra and
    Rossa