Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need name suggestions!

I'm not pregnant, but for the huge namenerd that I am, I have a really big problem: I am out of girls names that I like. I always go through different fazes, and I just went through my Old Fashioned name faze, until I started saying some of these names out loud and realizing that they really do sound like grandmother names. The only one that I still remotely like from that list is Violet, although I'm getting tired of it as it grows more and more popular. I had also liked the name Felicity, but I'm finding it a bit too Lissy-ish, if you know what I mean. Names like, Alyssa, Marissa, Clarissa. Somehow Felicity is just reminding me of those names that I am not particularly found of. So here are my criteria in a name:

1. I am not a huge fan of unisex names, but I geuss I will take suggestions

2. I do not like hugely popular names

3. I do not like old fashioned names, as I have just gotten over them.

So please suggest names, I'm sorry I have such specific criteria! But, I do change my mind a lot, so if you o find a name that doesn't follow my criteria but you think I will like it, please suggest it anyways. Thanks!!!!!!

Re: Need name suggestions!

I have the same problem with girls names as you do. Boys names I like the same name for years, but the girls....agh. (Also, like you I'm just a name nerd, not expecting.)

Here's what I currently like:

(1) Amerie
    (2) Alia
    (3) Zemirah
    (4) Vasili (but is it too much like Vasaline)
    (5) Adlee
    (6) Embry
    (7) Colette
    (8) Everly
    (9) Ezri
    (10) Anali
    (11) Isla
    (12) Varenka

Hope that helps...somehow....

Would you maybe like more exotic names, or even names from mythology? Here are some random names I thought of...

Catalina
    Calista
    Phaedra
    Althea
    Chrysanthe
    Elysia
    Aurelia
    Clio
    Marguerite
    Lisela
    Liviana
    Elspeth
    Tulia
    Odessa
    Oceane
    Guinevere
    Octavia
    Milena
    Ayelet
    Lyra
    Melisande
    Capucine
    Amarantha
    Catrin
    Victoire
    Saffron
    Zelia
    cordelia ~ jessamine ~ alice ~ louisa ~ maeve ~ julia ~ eloise ~ fiona ~ genevieve
    matthias ~ william ~ henry ~ finn ~ benjamin ~ frederick ~ leander

I love french names mainly Apolline (AH-POH-LEE-NAH) which is part of Harry Potter saga & Capucine (KA-PEW-SEEN).

Quote Originally Posted by bounceparty
    I had also liked the name Felicity, but I'm finding it a bit too Lissy-ish, if you know what I mean. Names like, Alyssa, Marissa, Clarissa.
    Funny, I wouldn't group those names at all. I'd say Alyssa is attractive, Marissa passable, and Clarissa awful.

I still find many of the old-fashioned names now coming back to be too old. I compulsively avoid popular names, to the extent I haven't been able to form an opinion on whether I like some names because they're too common for me to ever seriously consider. So I should find this easy, but...

Anyway, it's nice to see someone who has some criteria, rather than just asking for a list of assorted names. In fact, I'd like more to go on.

Are you looking for a certain origin, or avoiding a certain one? I avoid almost all Hebrew names for either gender, and I'm really into Greek, French and Russian names for girls, though not the Italian and Spanish which are coming into vogue alongside Russian. I suppose I'd embrace Japanese if I didn't think it was still outré, and I know most other people do too.
    Are there ending letters/sounds you favor or not? This is a big one for me.
    Are there certain categories you want to avoid? For example, I dislike traditional male names feminized by adding an ending (Josephine, Michaela).