Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Due in 4 wks and having Cold Feet with my top name. Help!

Hi! I'm due in 4 weeks and is it normal to start having 2nd thoughts on names??? My husband and I both love Claire and have commented to a lot of family members that this is what we're leaning towards. Which everyone really likes... so don't really have any reason to doubt. But when I say 'Claire' or else hear my relatives whom are now referring to my baby as Claire, there are some days that I have a hard time picturing my child with that name??? Maybe b/c it's hard to put an identity to a child when she's still in the womb! Haven't really ever known that many Claire's in my life (only one... she's 5 and in my Sunday school class) so really don't know what image pops to mind when the name Claire is said.... Nonetheless, is it normal to have 'cold feet' :) with a name as due date approaches? Made a list of runner ups, but really confused!!!! Any advice for me? Thanks! I have two boys - James & Noah - who are so excited to meet their little sister soon!!!!

Top Name... Claire

Runner Ups...

Amelia (nn Mia)
    Juliette
    Olivia
    Ava
    Molly
    Cora
    Isla
    Evelyn
    Eliza
    Elsa
    Annie
    Emma
    Ella
    Alice
    Grace
    Lucy
    Ivy
    Nina
    Anna
    Lena

Re: Due in 4 wks and having Cold Feet with my top name. Help!

I think it is normal to have cold feet about your name choice...especially since you have not yet met your little girl.
    Maybe have a few choices and see what fits her when she's here :)
    Claire is a beautiful name but personally not my favourite.
    I think these go better with James and Noah (in this order):

Olivia
    Amelia (nn Mia)
    Lena
    Grace
    Emma
    Isla

Congratulations!

This is an interesting question. I don't know what cold feet means for you - could just be sympomatic of the approaching life change or could mean that you really don't think this is the right name. What was your experience with your other children? When I was pregnant, I picked my daughter's name fairly early on (right after the doctors confirmed that she was a girl) and from then on, that name was her identity. I told everyone her name, and that's what everyone called her, and I couldn't have imagined changing it after that point (it would have been, to me, as unimaginable as changing the name after she was born). Even as someone who loves names, I never so much as considered another name for her once I had decided. So, to me, the kind of doubt you describe suggests you haven't bonded with Claire as her name yet, and makes me think maybe the name is not right for you and that is what is preventing the bonding.
    Claire is a great name, as are the others on your list. You really can't go wrong here, but you should definitely end up with a name that feels undoubtedly as though it is your child's name. If Claire is not it, then it might be wise to move on sooner rather than later.
    Mom of one daughter, age 2, and name-enthusiast

Claire is very pretty. I also love Clara, and it is fun to say.
    My favorite of all your name ideas is Lucy. I love Lucy!

No matter what you name your baby, it always seems a bit odd at first. But if the name is a good choice, the baby grows into it after a while. In the meantime there are always nicknames. We called our son Baba and our daughter Yitty when they were very tiny.

Quote Originally Posted by jlm
    This is an interesting question. I don't know what cold feet means for you - could just be sympomatic of the approaching life change or could mean that you really don't think this is the right name. What was your experience with your other children? When I was pregnant, I picked my daughter's name fairly early on (right after the doctors confirmed that she was a girl) and from then on, that name was her identity. I told everyone her name, and that's what everyone called her, and I couldn't have imagined changing it after that point (it would have been, to me, as unimaginable as changing the name after she was born). Even as someone who loves names, I never so much as considered another name for her once I had decided. So, to me, the kind of doubt you describe suggests you haven't bonded with Claire as her name yet, and makes me think maybe the name is not right for you and that is what is preventing the bonding.
    Claire is a great name, as are the others on your list. You really can't go wrong here, but you should definitely end up with a name that feels undoubtedly as though it is your child's name. If Claire is not it, then it might be wise to move on sooner rather than later.
    Thank you so much for your thoughts! My experience with James and Noah was that we were very private with the revealing of those names. Didn't tell ANYONE until after both of their births. Even though we didn't change either of their names at birth, I felt the freedom to do so since everyone close to me had no clue on the name... guess it just felt very private btw my husband and I. This time around, maybe b/c my sister just had a baby girl a few weeks ago and announced the name to everyone at 20 wks pregnant, we felt more inclined to share our top name early. Hence completely different experience in that I feel like her naming identity is now permanent. i.e. if we chose something else now... feel like we'll have some friends and family who will still see her as Claire or else may feel like the choice we made wasn't as good as Claire. All of my family and relatives just LOVE love love Claire.... and most days I do, too. But there just isn't any name that I absolutely have no doubts on, and I'm completely exhausted with name searching. Have looked and looked and looked and read and posted and looked more and have printed every name from A to Z and looked over and over the list... So that's where I'm at. :)