Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Re: Early Start - Feedback Please!

Quote Originally Posted by lemon
    Quote Originally Posted by norsedad
    Quote Originally Posted by elea
    Personally I love Rhys. I have since I was a little girl. If I ever have a boy he will be William Rhys...so yeah...I love it, but Vonn Rhys seems to run together as they are both one syllable. Like it is Vonrees.

I love it -- just not as much with Vonn.
    Yes, Vonn seems to run together with everything. Adding the extra n helps though. My wife is in love with this name!
    Like the previous poster, I love Rhys, but not with Vonn at all. I think Rhys would make an amazing first name, but I'm just not a Vonn fan, and I don't like the sound of Vonn Johnson, either...

Rhys Thorvald Johnson? You could still call him Thor as a pet name, but Rhys is too amazing not to use regularly, too! What do you and your wife think?

Also, which of you is Norwegian? I'm going to guess your wife, since your last name is Johnson, but I just wanted to make sure...

It's me - a few generations removed from Norway but my dad didn't speak english until going to school. Family name of Odegard changed by grandfather to Johnson when entering the US. My wife is adopted but we believe mostly German. How about Odegard as a 1st name with nn of Odie?

Rhys Thorvald Johnson? You could still call him Thor as a pet name, but Rhys is too amazing not to use regularly, too! What do you and your wife think?

Also, which of you is Norwegian? I'm going to guess your wife, since your last name is Johnson, but I just wanted to make sure...[/quote]

It's me - a few generations removed from Norway but my dad didn't speak english until going to school. Family name of Odegard changed by grandfather to Johnson when entering the US. My wife is adopted but we believe mostly German. How about Odegard as a 1st name with nn of Odie?[/quote]

Oh, cool! What great heritages you both have - excellent place to pull names from...

Honestly, Odegard has a cool sound to it, but it, especially with the nickname Odie, reminds me 1) of the word "odious," and 2) of ogres, oddly enough. I think it would be a stellar middle name, though! Are you still considering Rhys? Rhys Odegard Johnson is fabulous!

Maybe you'd like some German names...

Arlo
    Carsten
    Casper
    Coen
    Edsel
    Emil
    Gunther
    Hugo
    Johann
    Kiefer
    Lukas
    Mayer
    Nicklaus
    Romy
    Stefan
    Tanner

You could combine one of these names with a Norwegian or Scandinavian name (possibly from the ones I listed earlier, or from your own ideas) or with Odegard - this would honor BOTH of you!
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Boy Combinations: Archer Solomon James, Ronan Charles Bennett, Everett Hawthorn Thomas
    Girl Combinations: Phoebe Marietta Pearl, Clara Daphne Eloise
    Other Favorites: Eliza (Eliza Wren), Juliet, Rosanna, Thea, Johanna, Jude

Hi,
    I love the idea of using "Thor" in your name, and there are so many scandinavian names that are variants of it. You even have the option of using "Thora" for a girl. Another option for you if you really like "Vonn" and "Odegard" is to use them together as middle names and choose an entirely different first name so it doesn't sound like your naming your son "John Johnson". Also, if you like "Sven", the norwegian variant of it is "Svein" which comes from the old norse "Sveinn" meaning boy. If you are serious about looking for a Norwegian/Norse name, might I suggest you check out the website "www.behindthename.com" because you can search for specifically Norwegian, Scandinavian, or Old Norse names on it.
    Good Luck!