Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Early Start - Feedback Please!

What about Loki it is also a Norse god and I personally like it better than Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by liz22
    I like your girl choices, and I voted for Henry Thor Johnson on your poll thread. Do you like Freya? I think that would meet your criteria and is such a lovely name!
    I was afraid Henry would be the run away winner. I love it but my wife HATES the name Henry. Maybe it will grow on her. I considered Freya but don't really like it - kind of looks like Fred to me. We came across the name Svea which we like a lot but its Swedish for Sweden and we're of Norwegian heritage so I guess it won't do. :(

Quote Originally Posted by sdsanchez
    What about Loki it is also a Norse god and I personally like it better than Thor.
    If we went with a different Norse god it would have to be Odin. We are considering Vonn Odin Johnson. :)

Eira (prn AY-ra) is my absolute favourite Norwegian name for a girl. It means "mercy" :)

Charlotte Elaine would be a lovely combo as Lemon suggested. Clara is a lovely name as well. My favourite though, is Adeline Elsa. Adeline works to honour Elaine imo because all the letters of Elaine are there in pretty much the same order.

Elin is also a Norwegian form of Helen/Elaine if that appeals.

I think Thor is usable (I went to school with a Zeus once and he did fine) but Odin is definitely the more "user-friendly" as it is less associated with mythology as Thor is.

I love the Norwegian Theodor. It's very versatile because it is so similar to Theodore, whilst still being Norwegian and you could use Thor as a nickname.
    Theodor Vonn nn Thor would be a distinguished choice imo.
    Trends, styles and quirks of British names:
    www.britishbabynames.com

Quote Originally Posted by norsedad
    We recently decided to try for our first. My wife has left it to me to come up with name candidates. I have a VERY common name so really want something that will stand out. The baby would be half Norwegian so something with a norse flair would be good. I have been through lots of names already and here is whet I've come up with, my wife likes them all. What do you say? (Elaine and Alan are family names we would like to include)

Girls:
    Charli Elaine Johnson (Charles is an important family name and my wife's name is bi-gender, which she loves)
    Clara Elaine Johnson (Clara is in both our family trees)
    Elsa Elaine Johnson (My family tree)
    Adeline Elaine Johnson (Adeline is my grandmothers name)

Boys:
    Vonn Alan Johnson (Inspired by skier Lindsay Vonn and Von is Norwegian for hope)
    Alan Thor Johnson (Calling him Thor. I've always had this name in my head - is it to much for someone to live up to?)
    I love the idea of using Thor! Why not use it in the first name place? Too much? There was the idea of Henry Thor Johnson floating around....I think it flows a little better than Andrew Thor. As for the girls, I really like Charlotte Elaine, nn Charli...what a lovely idea whoever it was that posted that! I also like the suggestion of Freya and your idea of Elsa Elaine.
    Some more possibilities...

Boys:
    Eric Thor Johnson
    Anders Thor Johnson
    Charles Thor Johnson

Girls:
    Astrid Elaine Johnson
    Edda Elaine Johnson
    Jordis Elaine Johnson
    Rowan Adeline Johnson
    Nessa Elaine Johnson

Good luck!