Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Early Start - Feedback Please!

We recently decided to try for our first. My wife has left it to me to come up with name candidates. I have a VERY common name so really want something that will stand out. The baby would be half Norwegian so something with a norse flair would be good. I have been through lots of names already and here is whet I've come up with, my wife likes them all. What do you say? (Elaine and Alan are family names we would like to include)

Girls:
    Charli Elaine Johnson (Charles is an important family name and my wife's name is bi-gender, which she loves)
    Clara Elaine Johnson (Clara is in both our family trees)
    Elsa Elaine Johnson (My family tree)
    Adeline Elaine Johnson (Adeline is my grandmothers name)

Boys:
    Vonn Alan Johnson (Inspired by skier Lindsay Vonn and Von is Norwegian for hope)
    Alan Thor Johnson (Calling him Thor. I've always had this name in my head - is it to much for someone to live up to?)

Re: Early Start - Feedback Please!

Quote Originally Posted by norsedad
    We recently decided to try for our first. My wife has left it to me to come up with name candidates. I have a VERY common name so really want something that will stand out. The baby would be half Norwegian so something with a norse flair would be good. I have been through lots of names already and here is whet I've come up with, my wife likes them all. What do you say? (Elaine and Alan are family names we would like to include)

Girls:
    Charli Elaine Johnson (Charles is an important family name and my wife's name is bi-gender, which she loves)
    Clara Elaine Johnson (Clara is in both our family trees)
    Elsa Elaine Johnson (My family tree)
    Adeline Elaine Johnson (Adeline is my grandmothers name)

Boys:
    Vonn Alan Johnson (Inspired by skier Lindsay Vonn and Von is Norwegian for hope)
    Alan Thor Johnson (Calling him Thor. I've always had this name in my head - is it to much for someone to live up to?)
    Clara is my favorite of your girl names, but I don't really care for the flow of Clara Elaine. Charli seems too insignificant as a first name, so perhaps you might consider Charlotte Elaine, called Charli? Thus, my top pick is Adeline, both because it is lovely and because it honors family. However, Adeline and Elaine sound rather similar, so might you consider Adeline Elsa? Adeline Elsa Johnson is absolutely stunning, and Elsa is similar to Elaine in its first sounds...

For your boy names, Thor does seem a bit much to live up to, but I prefer it to the sound of Vonn Johnson (i.e., VONN JOHNson). Honestly, neither of your boy names really excite me, but if you love them, I'd pick Alan Thor...

Frederick Alan Johnson
    Bergthor Alan Johnson
    Bruni Alan Johnson
    Henry Alan Johnson
    Lukas Alan Johnson
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Favorites - Eliza, Phoebe, Juliet, Archer, Ronan, Jude

You're right about Charli/Charlotte. I love Adeline Elsa but will have to talk my wife out of Elaine. Bergthor is interesting as my wife's maiden name has Berg in it. I like Henry, or even Henrik, hmmm. Great feedback, Thanks!

I like Clara Elaine Johnson Alan Thor Johnson the best. I think Thor is a cool nickname.

Quote Originally Posted by norsedad
    You're right about Charli/Charlotte. I love Adeline Elsa but will have to talk my wife out of Elaine. Bergthor is interesting as my wife's maiden name has Berg in it. I like Henry, or even Henrik, hmmm. Great feedback, Thanks!
    I'm glad you liked the suggestion of Adeline Elsa, as I think it is 100% stunning! Please let me know what your wife thinks...

As for Bergthor, that is such a cool connection! But, that seems like an awful lot of a first name in retrospect, so it might do best in the middle position. Honestly, my favorite is Henry Bergthor Johnson, as I think it flows beautifully with Adeline Elsa (should you ever be fortunate to have both a girl and boy) and honors your heritage and your wife's maiden name. But, with these names, you'd have to talk your wife out of both Elaine and Alan. Might she be soothed by the fact that Bergthor honors her maiden name and Elsa sounds a bit like Elaine?
    "Names, once they are in common use, quickly become mere sounds, their etymology being buried, like so many of the earth's marvels, beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie

Favorites - Eliza, Phoebe, Juliet, Archer, Ronan, Jude