Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Name Advice

Name Advice

My husband and I are expecting our first, and we are letting the gender be a surprise! We've come up with several names but can't come to a final decision...we've narrowed it down to 2(ish) for each gender. We want good ole' Southern names....What do you think? :)

Boy:
    Lucus Mason
    Thomas Drayke

Girl:
    Annslee Ruth
    Emory Lynn

Opinions???

Re: Name Advice

I'm not Southern, or even American!. but personally prefer Lucus and Emory.

Is Annslee pn. like Ainsley or is it actually Ann-slee?
    Also, I would spell Drayke properly, like Drake.

Hi and welcome to nameberry, we always encourage people to use the traditional spelling of the names that they have chosen therefore my list would be,

Boy:
    Lucas Mason This is a strong modern name
    Thomas Drake This is a good combo although I am not sold on Drake. I like Thomas Dashiell.

Girl: Are you honouring family members with the middle name?

Ainsley Ruth alternative Alice Ruth
    Emery Lynn alternative Emmeline Aurora (you get both the Em and Lynn element in Emmeline)

I am not sure what 'good ole southern names' are but I will have a go.

It looks like you prefer unisex names for a daughter but I was of the understanding that southern names were very feminine in some cases frilly, so your names have thrown me off track.

My suggestions would be something like
    Caroline
    Susannah
    Belle
    Clementine
    Juliet
    Cleo
    Luella but I would use this as a nn for Louisa
    Letitia
    Jacqueline
    Geraldine
    Josephine
    Emily
    Elise
    Alicia
    Ellen
    Hazel
    Adeline
    Donata
    Magnolia
    Dahlia
    Daphne
    Annabel
    Psalm 23

Hey guys, thanks for replying!
    All of the names are family names, or varients of...the spelling of Drayke is my mothers Maiden name. Lucus is after my late brother. Ruth and Lynn are my Aunts names that I love very much....

Ann is my mom-in-loves name, lee is my husbands middle name, so I figured putting that together would be nice for both of them...it would be pronounced exactly as spelled....

Emory was my late cousin's name whom I was very close with. We would probably call her Emory Lynn so that it wouldn't be more of a memorial and less of a "tear jerker".

Mason is the only name that is one that we just LIKE as opposed to being after someone....

I probably should have provided an explanation to begin with. :)

Typically, in the area I am from, "southern names" tend to be family names or combinations of them. In this area, we tend to do a lot of double-names and combining of the husband and wife's family names to create new traditions...Our families are both complelty torn as to what they prefer too, so I figured I would get some outside opinions! :)