Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Are we just being crazy?

We are having a boy in less than 4 weeks and are having trouble coming up with a name for him. I have two questions.
    Firstly, I would like your opinions on the names on the 'short list'...honesty definitely preferred!
    Secondly....my DF is a huge fan of Batman and Superman etc. We tried thinking of a superhero name, or a character, but there's nothing we like. We are considering using the name 'Joker' for a middle name. For example, Felix Joker (Last name). Is this just bizarre and weird? I think that most people don't ever use their middle name and I am considering going with this. But am I just being crazy?
    The names on the short list are:
    Felix
    Gaius or Caius
    James (I must warn you, would probably get Tiberius as a mn)
    Maximus (Max)
    Otto
    Roman
    Thomas
    Tobias
    Theodore (Theo)

Some of the names we like more than others, but I can tell you Felix is listed first for a reason.
    Thank you!
    My two boys:
    Felix Arkham 2010
    Victor Huckleberry 2012

Re: Are we just being crazy?

What fun!
    I don't think its crazy - different yes - crazy no! Like you say who ever uses their middle name. Its not like you want to name him The Penguin!
    I personally like Felix Joker or Theodore Joker. However if you think its a bit too out there why not use something like Wayne or Bruce (not the greatest choices!) but something that you know has a meaning but isn't too unusual ! Good luck! :-)

Our son is named Leo Magnus and on more than one occasion I've been told that it sounds like a super hero name. I'm pretty sure it's Magnus (not Leo) that made them say that. Maybe you could use that name or something similar in some capacity?

Best of luck!

Tara

I love your first names, every one of them. And am a big supporter of unusual middle names with personal meaning. But Joker? That bothers me on several levels. First off, it's a word name that might not embody what you want your son to be. Second, the character The Joker in Batman was a villain. And third, as great as Heath Ledger's performance may have been, he died of an overdose several months before the film came out. I've got a teenage son, and I can tell you I wouldn't want him carrying around that role model.

You asked for honesty and here it is: Please don't name your child Joker. Another name from a superhero legend might be great, but not this one.
    Pam Satran
    Nameberry

Love your names (except Roman and Otto)...I think I like Caius best but they are all refreshing. As for Joker, don't do it! What about using Kal-El? It is Superman's name on Krypton I think. I always thought that sounded cool. Also, just to throw this out there--my husband wouldn't let me have this--what about Mercury or another space type name? Very strong with mythological associations too. Good Luck!