26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Finlay

12 46.15%
  • Finley

14 53.85%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Re-posting: Isla and Finlay/Finley

Quote Originally Posted by rollo
    Sloppyart that is exactly the reason that I suggested Finley in the first place, there is no either or with that spelling, and although the majority on nameberry go for Finlay, we don't want another mother to have to scream silently to herself everytime that her son's name is mispronounced.
    True, but then again, parents don't change the spelling of names like Murray or Lindsay for fear people will pronounce them other than Mur-ee and Lind-seee. It's an interesting dilemna, whether to alter a name's spelling for the sake of pronunciation--anyone considering Seamus, for example, knows the dilemna well.

Quote Originally Posted by sloppyart
    Quote Originally Posted by rollo
    Sloppyart that is exactly the reason that I suggested Finley in the first place, there is no either or with that spelling, and although the majority on nameberry go for Finlay, we don't want another mother to have to scream silently to herself everytime that her son's name is mispronounced.
    True, but then again, parents don't change the spelling of names like Murray or Lindsay for fear people will pronounce them other than Mur-ee and Lind-seee. It's an interesting dilemna, whether to alter a name's spelling for the sake of pronunciation--anyone considering Seamus, for example, knows the dilemna well.
    I agree with you but remember that Finley is not a tryndee spelling but a bona fide Scottish boy's name.
    Psalm 23

Finley IS a trendeeee spelling. Not Scottish at all. I am Scottish and I have a Finlay, trust me, I know!

Look at the Scottish stats for an idea of how little Finley is used there. When I told my great aunt that Finlay is often spelt Finley in England she was open mouthed and said she'd never heard or seen it spelt that way before.

Sloppyart, if you are altering the spelling of Finlay due to pronounciation worries, then why are you not considering spelling Isla as Eyela? It's the same issue IMO!

My Finlay mostly goes by Finn anyway so we rarely have issues re pronounciation.

I thought Finlay/Finley was similar to Ann/Anne and Isobel/Isabel/Iseabail that they were all legit?

Behindthename.com

FINLEY
    Usage: Irish, Scottish
    Anglicized form of FIONNLAGH

FINLAY
    Usage: Irish, Scottish
    Anglicized form of FIONNLAGH