26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Finlay

12 46.15%
  • Finley

14 53.85%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Re-posting: Isla and Finlay/Finley

Quote Originally Posted by sloppyart
    Thanks Jill :) Finlay Malloy is doing wonderfully, and looks ever so much like his name. Wish I could show you....
    Hi! :-) I bet he's darling! You should totally send a picture for Pam to post! What does he look like? I'd love to see him, and I know I'm not alone. :-)

Take care!

Finlay all the way! It is the traditional spelling. Finley is made-up and downmarket. Finlay is classy and the correct, traditional spelling of the name.

Finlay was in fact, Macbeth's father. It is a Scottish royal name http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/histori.../macbeth.shtml

I've just done a search on this site as to previous comments on the name Finlay and am shocked at how many people think that Finlay is a surname name like Jackson etc. The surname Finlay is from the FIRST name Finlay. It's as much of a surname as Thomas, George etc. Yes it is also used as a surname but it is originally a first name.. http://www.surnamedb.com/surname.aspx?name=Finlay

Also, a lot of people are saying it's Irish? The only thing Irish about Finlay is its nickname Finn. Finlay is 100% Scottish.

Thanks, Jill--I'll post a picture to Pam. He looks rather Scottish, actually--big cheeks but delicate features (so Sawyer wouldn't have really suited him).

Rouge, maybe some of those posts you thought suggested Finlay was a surname--at least the recent ones replying to my quandries--may have stemmed from the fact that Finlayson was the surname (my MIL's) I was trying to honor with the naming of my Finlay.

I wanted to also mention to allyson that maybe three people have been stumped by Finlay-- and said to me, "now do you pronounce that Fin-le or Fin-Lai?" And one has just said his name Fin-lai, which for some reason drove me mildly (and silently) crazy. The only reason I could think to spell his name Finley would be to avoid such misprounciations, which so far have been infrequent.

Quote Originally Posted by sloppyart

I wanted to also mention to allyson that maybe three people have been stumped by Finlay-- and said to me, "now do you pronounce that Fin-le or Fin-Lai?" And one has just said his name Fin-lai, which for some reason drove me mildly (and silently) crazy. The only reason I could think to spell his name Finley would be to avoid such misprounciations, which so far have been infrequent.
    Sloppyart that is exactly the reason that I suggested Finley in the first place, there is no either or with that spelling, and although the majority on nameberry go for Finlay, we don't want another mother to have to scream silently to herself everytime that her son's name is mispronounced.
    Psalm 23