Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: HELP needed, first baby...

(Sorry for repeats!) :-)

Adeline: I love Adeline, but with the N ending sound, it sounds a bit matchy to me with your last name.

You may also like:

Adelia
    Adelaide

Sarah (too pop.): I think it's pretty...

You may also like:

Clara
    Cora (although with an S last name, Cora S sounds like "chorus" :-)
    Flora
    Laura
    Nora/Norah
    Susannah

Charlotte (too pop.): I think this is beautiful, too...

Annabel/Annabelle
    Alice
    Beatrice
    Cora
    Celia
    Diana
    Daphne
    Eliza
    Eleanor
    Helena
    Iris
    Juliet
    Louisa (oops...not with an S last name)
    Lydia
    Margot
    Miranda
    Phoebe
    Stella
    Violet

French names:

Annabelle
    Amelie
    Coralie
    Elodie
    Juliette
    Mirabelle

Clara (too much like Kara, my sister?): I love Clara! It's very close to Kara, so if you think you'll get them confused, that's what matters. I think it would be a cute way to honor your sister. You could always go with Claire if you're concerned about the similarity.

Aubrey (too trendy):

Audrey (popular)
    Adriana
    Aurelia
    Bryony
    Daphne
    Ruby
    Sabrina

Heather (we both love, others feel it's too dated, opinions?): Heather feels very dated to me, but I'm in the U.S., and I'm not sure how it's perceived where you live. To me, Heather feels like Ashley and Chelsea...

Here's what Pam and Linda wrote: "This flower name was one of the most popular in her class in the seventies and eighties (in the 1989 movie Heathers, every snobby girl in the high school clique bore that name), but now, though still pretty and evocative of the Scottish moors, it's beginning to feel as dusty as a bouquet of dried flowers."

More flower names/plant names:

Bryony
    Daphne
    Dahlia
    Flora
    Ivy
    Violet
    Willa

Nadia: I can't help but think of Octomom these days...

More you may like:

Natalia
    Arabella
    Cordelia
    Carolina
    Dahlia
    Evelina
    Emilia
    Georgiana
    Juliana
    Liliana
    Lilia
    Mariana
    Raphaela
    Simona
    Talia
    Viviana

Norah: I love Nora! :-)

Annora
    Eleanor (nn Nora)
    Eleanora
    Honora

Rebecca: A lot of the other names feel fresher to me, but I think it's beautiful. (Now that I think about it, it sounds really "K" heavy with your last name...)

Naomi
    Tabitha (nn Tibbie)
    Susannah

Scarlett (again, too pop?): I think it's beautiful! It's #210 in the U.S., but I'm not sure about its popularity where you are. Oops! Scarlett Scurman doesn't have the best sound to me...

Sonja: I think it's pretty, but I love some of the others more...

Hannah (too popular):

Susannah

Benjamin: I really love Benjamin, but the ending sounds too close to your last name's ending to me.

More Biblical names:

Abraham
    Abner
    Abel
    David
    Daniel
    Ezra
    Eli
    Gabriel
    Joseph
    Nathaniel
    Simon (oops...not with a last name ending in N)
    Samuel
    Tobiah (although Tobiah S. sounds like Tobias when I say it out loud...)

Carter: Carter is very popular/trendy in the U.S. (#65)

Archer
    Abbott (nn Abe)
    Bennett
    Conrad
    Donovan (oops...N ending)
    Everett
    Grady
    Miles
    Reed

Clark: It's kind of awkward for me to say with your last name...

Elliott: I love it!

Emmett: I think it's great, but Emma is the #1 name and Emily is the #4, so there are a lot of Ems around...

Henry
    Leo
    Theodore

Garrett: I like Grant more...

Grant: Oh! Here's Grant! :-)

Landon: It feels really trendy to me, and I think the names that don't end in an N sound better with your last name.

As I think about it more, I really love longer first names with your last name.

Also, I forgot about your dog and the EV names, so sorry about suggesting Everett so many times!

Good luck! :-)

OK, time for some full replys... sorry it took so long. I am still working on getting back to each of you, thanks for all the help so far.

@ Lemon

Alice Like it, on my long list
    Beatrice Meh
    Caroline Like it, on my long list
    Diana Not for me
    Eliza No (maybe the Z is what gets me)
    Frances Too masculine
    Georgiana Not bad, I would prefer a simple Georgia, but DH would not go for anything sounding like a US place name
    Hazel One of the old lady names that is growing on me, not sure if Im ready to go there
    Ivy Another one of the old lady names that is growing on me
    Josephine DHs Aunt
    Katharina Prefer Katherine, actually, love Katherine, but I have a cousin Kate, and I would want the option of Kate
    Laurel LOVE, but we spend a lot of time with a cousin Laura, and I think it might be too confusing for others (I also love Lara and Lauren, but Lara is too close to Laura again, and Lauren is way too popular)
    Matilda - Undecided
    Naomi Not for me
    Olive Super cute, but too much a word for it to work for me (also to close to the uber pop. Olivia)
    Phoebe Like it a lot, but cant imagine calling my own child Pheobe
    Quinn Feels too trendy
    Regina Place name to me (capital of Saskatchewan)
    Stella Ok, now I have Stella Ella Ola stuck in my head, actually its an OK name, but not my style
    Thalia Like it, almost added it to my list, until I remembered its taken in DHs family (well, Talia, but close enough)
    Ursula Evil octopus (guess I grew up in the Disney years)
    Vanessa Knew a few too many evil ones
    Willa Oh, how cute, but not formal enough for a first name for us. Ill keep it on the spare middle name list in case a family first name comes up

Alexander Girl cousin Alex
    Boyd - NMS
    Chase Too many troublemakers growing up
    Declan Taken by a friend (perhaps too much in keeping with the Celtic trend for me)
    Everett Love, as mentioned
    Francis Too feminine (OK, I guess Frances/Francis is too unisex for me, although I am OK with some unisex names)
    Garrison Dads name is Gary, and hes not namesake worthy by any stretch, like the style though (also reminds me of army barracks)
    Henry Already taken by DHs uncle (1 of 2 reasons why Im not giving in to Henrik/Hendrik as a first name, even though its the only name DH is currently considering)
    Isaac Like it, and its a family name way back on my side, but DH doesnt like it (then again, what does he like, other than Henrik!)
    James Too plain
    Lucas Dont like Luke
    Micah - NMS
    Nathaniel ADORE taken in our small community as mentioned (Love your Everett Nathaniel Schuurman suggestion though, almost enough to scrap the family middle name)
    Oliver Too trendy (goes with all the Olivias in my mind), although I do like it, mentioned it to DH once and got too feminine
    Peter DHs uncle (& NMS)
    Rupert Interesting suggestion, I havent come across this idea, Ill have to give it some consideration
    Stephen Ex BF, known too many weird Steves
    Thomas Like it, good way to honour Tom, my FIL (Taeke or some variation by birth), as long as baby doesnt get called Tom, I dont want two Toms in the same family at the same time
    Wyatt Like it, but unsure

I know that Everett has the same beginning sound It wouldnt bother me, and I definitely agree that the babys name is more important than the puppy, I just dont want people thinking we named the kid after the dog, KWIM? I once had Edie on my girls list for a brief time, and my sister pointed out how ridiculous it would be to have an Evey and an Edie. I had not even considered the dogs name until this time, and since she is not an outdoor farm dog, but an indoor family member, I figured it might make sense to have someone let me know if I strayed too close!

Could you potentially use your Gran's middle or last names Yes, Rosalia and Anderson are both also in honour of Gran (or Joa for that matter, but good luck working that in). Unfortunately, I think Rosalia will only fit with a very few names, well see how that goes when we get there.

@ cew1114

Re: Sarah - I have a feeling many people feel that way about Sarah (too plain). I wonder why everyone else keeps using it then! I think this one is relegated to middle spot, because I dont want to bestow a name upon my child that is both common and boring.

Re: Nadia thats funny about Indians, b/c I have only heard this on Europeans, may be because where I grew up there werent many Indians

Re: Garrett Do you think people would honestly call a kid Gary in this day & age? I know that we cant entirely prevent nicknames, so this may have to leave my list completely, since I cannot have anyone thinking this child was in any way named after my father. The Garrett I knew was never anything but Garrett, but I suppose Gary would be logical, just so outdated!

Still working on the rest... thanks everyone!

Did you still want some suggestions for "Andie" as a nn for girls?

In case:
    Andora
    Andromeda
    Andriana (but looking at it hurts my head)
    Holland

BUT...Addie sounds pretty close to Andie and there are quite a few names that can use the nn Addie

@ Jill
    Adeline I was thinking a pron. of Add-eh-line, not Add-eh-lyn, does that still sound too matchy? (I dont know if I love it anyway). I quite like Adelia (it is on my long list), but Adelaide is too much of a place name for me.

Norah: I love Nora! :-) Me too (both spellings)

Rebecca: A lot of the other names feel fresher to me, but I think it's beautiful. (Now that I think about it, it sounds really "K" heavy with your last name...)

Scarlett (again, too pop?): I think it's beautiful! It's #210 in the U.S., but I'm not sure about its popularity where you are. Oops! Scarlett Schuurman doesn't have the best sound to me... Agreed, it doesnt sound great together, oh well

Sonja: I think it's pretty, but I love some of the others more... That seems to be a consensus

(repeats deleted)
    Cora (although with an S last name, Cora S sounds like "chorus" :-) Agreed, also, bad associations with the name
    Flora Too old or hippy for my taste
    Laura Love the Laura family of names, but Laura is a cousin we spend a lot of time with
    Susannah - NMS
    Annabel/Annabelle Not feeling the belle names
    Celia Like it, maybe as a nickname, although Cecilia has always felt too much like Sicily, not sure where else Celia could come from
    Daphne Like it, but (dont know what the but is)
    Eleanor Despite the cute NN, dont know if I like it
    Helena DH has an aunt Helen
    Iris Has potential
    Juliet/ Juliette Too Romeo &
    Louisa (oops...not with an S last name) Agreed, just doesnt fit
    Lydia Like it, not sure if its on my list at the moment, but I will put it back if it disappeared
    Margot I like the name, like the sound, like that it would honour Gretja, Pearl and Megan as a form of Margaret, but I have always hated the way it looks like maggot
    Miranda DHs cousin (yes, he has a seriously large family, and I dont like repeating names of living people)
    Violet Taken by a friend
    Amelie Very beautiful name, but would forever be confused with the uber pop. Emily
    Coralie Ooh, like it a lot, but the previously mentioned Cora we have problems with is a Cora-Lee, so this isnt gonna happen
    Elodie Love it, do you think people would hear Melodie though, b/c I DONT like Melodie (also not sure how it sounds with the last name)
    Mirabelle Another belle name, which I am not fond of in general
    Audrey (popular) Love it, but yes, too popular
    Adriana Have loved this one on & off, I have (moderately) bad associations with Adrian, which seems to impact my views of Adriana
    Aurelia Slightly too far out there for me? Not sure though, I like it.
    Bryony Dont like it
    Ruby Love, but it is a real up & comer from what I can tell
    Sabrina Teenage witch, and a weird looking girl I went to school with
    Dahlia Like it, wonder if I could convince others
    Natalia Bad associations with Nathalie, also, too Christmassy for my spring babe
    Arabella Too many Bellas
    Cordelia Ex BF is Cordell
    Carolina Not bad, but I prefer Caroline
    Evelina Now thats one thats too close to the puppy :) (Evey/Evelyn)
    Emilia Ooh, this caught my eye
    Juliana Meh
    Liliana I like this one, but I dont know if it stands out with all the Lilys, Lilians and Vivians
    Lilia Sounds plain by comparison to Liliana or Lydia (perhaps its the 2 syllables)
    Mariana Too much like Mary-Anne, which I find boring
    Raphaela - NMS
    Simona - NMS
    Talia Like, but taken in DHs family
    Viviana Ive heard a few Vivians in our area lately
    Annora looks like part of a medical problem, cant think of which one
    Eleanora Same thoughts as Eleanor, cute NN, but not sure if I like it
    Honora NMS
    Tabitha (nn Tibbie) Hard for me to picture on a real person
    Susannah - NMS