Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite first name?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Penelope

18 78.26%
  • Noreni

1 4.35%
  • Evolette

0 0%
  • Everette

0 0%
  • Megara

4 17.39%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Name poll: Greek and Germanic names...

Please vote in my poll - mainly curiosity!
    One little born 1/14

Re: Noreni and Penelope MNs? Other first names, poll?

Penelope doesn't seem to fit your style, based on your other choices. I really generally don't like names ending in -ette unless they are pretty standard. So my vote is for Noreni or the M- name

Noreni - I wouldn't know how to begin to pronounce this, and I think that that may cause issues. It does look pretty written down, but I wouldn't know whether it was nor-en-ee, nor-een-ee ...

Penelope - such a wonderful name! Vintage and unusual yet accessable, feminine but not frilly, refined but with a lot of fun nns (Penny, Poppy, Nell/ie etc.). Penelope Thais is pretty, but I think the flow of Penelope Cate is unbeatable. Calais is not a very pretty place, so I wouldn't use it as a name, personally.

Evolette - it seems like it should be Violet, to me.

Everette - I like the masculine version, but I just can't get on board with this one - I don't think there is enough destinction between this and Everett, I am afraid.

Megara - it sounds like a strange form of Megan, which I am not a fan of, in my head. I'm sorry!

My vote is definitely for Penelope - good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by twinkle
    Noreni - I wouldn't know how to begin to pronounce this, and I think that that may cause issues. It does look pretty written down, but I wouldn't know whether it was nor-en-ee, nor-een-ee ...
    Your first guess was right. I have to correct people 99% of the time when they read my name aloud, and it's never bothered me... if anything, it's fun to collect all the ridiculous mispronunciations ;) so I've never understood the "it's hard to pronounce" strike against names.

Penelope - such a wonderful name! Vintage and unusual yet accessable, feminine but not frilly, refined but with a lot of fun nns (Penny, Poppy, Nell/ie etc.). Penelope Thais is pretty, but I think the flow of Penelope Cate is unbeatable. Calais is not a very pretty place, so I wouldn't use it as a name, personally.
    I tend to agree with you on the Penelope Cate vs. anything else, I loved Calais until I knew the correct pronunciation (I thought it was cah-lah-ees, that's the love of Greek names talking I suppose) and meaning, and Thais was somewhat a replacement for that sound-wise.

Evolette - it seems like it should be Violet, to me.
    It's so funny, EVERYONE seems to say that! I never would have made the connection until the first time I head that suggested.

Everette - I like the masculine version, but I just can't get on board with this one - I don't think there is enough destinction between this and Everett, I am afraid.
    Everette and Evolette are my replacements for Evelyn, which we wanted for the nn Evie. There's a negative association with Evelyn now, so we can't use it.

Megara - it sounds like a strange form of Megan, which I am not a fan of, in my head. I'm sorry!

My vote is definitely for Penelope - good luck!
    Thanks for the feedback!
    One little born 1/14

Quote Originally Posted by deirdre
    Penelope doesn't seem to fit your style, based on your other choices. I really generally don't like names ending in -ette unless they are pretty standard. So my vote is for Noreni or the M- name
    Thanks for the post!

Looking at the names by sound, I can see where Penelope wouldn't fit in. All our first names and most of the middle names are Latin, Greek or Germanic in origin, and from fictional characters that we both love... so in that context, it fits. Penelope is a long-time favorite of my husband's, but the others are favorites of mine (Noreni being my top choice).

I suspect that we'll end up with Penelope and Noreni in our heads at the birth (hence providing those as the primary choices for middle-name combos), and choose based on what seems to "fit."

What's eating at me is that I can't seem to let go of Palani for her middle name, but I just don't like having "E" sounds at the end of both first AND middle names.
    One little born 1/14