Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: Is this name too out there?

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kelleita
    So I just read the post at Appellation Mountain on the name Vesper. (http://appellationmountain.net/2009/...he-day-vesper/)

Is this name too weird or too James Bond-associated to use? I mentioned it to my husband and for once he liked a name I suggested! I think it has a soft sound, but a sort of cool and hip look. Plus, we're both Catholic, so I like the connotation with the prayers.

But is it too not-like-a-regular-name? Our first daughter is Juliette Noelle and we've gotten so many compliments on her name, I would hate for her sister to have a name that makes people go, "huh?" On the other hand... I do think it's pretty and interesting... What are your thoughts, Name-o-philes? :)

We'd probably be using my husband's mother's name as a middle name: Vesper Rosalinda.

Thanks!
    Hi - I think Vesper sounds very masculine, unfortunately. Especially when paired with Juliette, which is a very feminine girl's name. How about Veronica Rosalinda?
    Anastasia Pearl, Caroline Audrey, Catherine Maeve,
    Elizabeth Jane, Grace Charlotte, Rose Genevieve

Benjamin Clark, Jack Ronan, James Frederick,
    Liam David, Luke Alexander, Patrick Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by kyemsma
    Quote Originally Posted by kelleita
    So I just read the post at Appellation Mountain on the name Vesper. (http://appellationmountain.net/2009/...he-day-vesper/)

Is this name too weird or too James Bond-associated to use? I mentioned it to my husband and for once he liked a name I suggested! I think it has a soft sound, but a sort of cool and hip look. Plus, we're both Catholic, so I like the connotation with the prayers.

But is it too not-like-a-regular-name? Our first daughter is Juliette Noelle and we've gotten so many compliments on her name, I would hate for her sister to have a name that makes people go, "huh?" On the other hand... I do think it's pretty and interesting... What are your thoughts, Name-o-philes? :)

We'd probably be using my husband's mother's name as a middle name: Vesper Rosalinda.

Thanks!
    Hi - I think Vesper sounds very masculine, unfortunately. Especially when paired with Juliette, which is a very feminine girl's name. How about Veronica Rosalinda?
    Thanks for all the replies. I really like the sound and feel of Vesper, but I definitely recognize what many of you are saying about it not "going with" Juliette. Part of me, however, kind of likes that the two names are so different -- it kind of seems to reflect who we are as a family, a big mix of different individuals.

I like the suggestion of Ora -- I'll have to see what my DH thinks about that.

Not so fond of Veronica -- it always sounded like a villain (villainess) name to me when I was growing up.

Funny how names sound so different to different people. There have been a lot of comments on how Vesper sounds harsh or masculine, but I think it comes out of the mouth really softly and almost whisper-like.

I don't know that I'm totally sold on it, so it was good to hear all of these comments. We'll see... any other suggestions out there?