Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: Is this name too out there?

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kelleita
    So I just read the post at Appellation Mountain on the name Vesper. (http://appellationmountain.net/2009/...he-day-vesper/)

Is this name too weird or too James Bond-associated to use? I mentioned it to my husband and for once he liked a name I suggested! I think it has a soft sound, but a sort of cool and hip look. Plus, we're both Catholic, so I like the connotation with the prayers.

But is it too not-like-a-regular-name? Our first daughter is Juliette Noelle and we've gotten so many compliments on her name, I would hate for her sister to have a name that makes people go, "huh?" On the other hand... I do think it's pretty and interesting... What are your thoughts, Name-o-philes? :)

We'd probably be using my husband's mother's name as a middle name: Vesper Rosalinda.

Thanks!
    Hi - I think Vesper sounds very masculine, unfortunately. Especially when paired with Juliette, which is a very feminine girl's name. How about Veronica Rosalinda?
    From our ancestors come our names, but from our virtues our honors. ~ Proverb

The Classics: Caroline, Catherine, Elizabeth; Benjamin, James, Luke
    Celtic Flair: Annabel, Claire, Maeve; Evan, Liam, Patrick
    Short & Sweet: Eve, Jane, Rose; Hugh, Jack, Leo

Quote Originally Posted by kyemsma
    Quote Originally Posted by kelleita
    So I just read the post at Appellation Mountain on the name Vesper. (http://appellationmountain.net/2009/...he-day-vesper/)

Is this name too weird or too James Bond-associated to use? I mentioned it to my husband and for once he liked a name I suggested! I think it has a soft sound, but a sort of cool and hip look. Plus, we're both Catholic, so I like the connotation with the prayers.

But is it too not-like-a-regular-name? Our first daughter is Juliette Noelle and we've gotten so many compliments on her name, I would hate for her sister to have a name that makes people go, "huh?" On the other hand... I do think it's pretty and interesting... What are your thoughts, Name-o-philes? :)

We'd probably be using my husband's mother's name as a middle name: Vesper Rosalinda.

Thanks!
    Hi - I think Vesper sounds very masculine, unfortunately. Especially when paired with Juliette, which is a very feminine girl's name. How about Veronica Rosalinda?
    Thanks for all the replies. I really like the sound and feel of Vesper, but I definitely recognize what many of you are saying about it not "going with" Juliette. Part of me, however, kind of likes that the two names are so different -- it kind of seems to reflect who we are as a family, a big mix of different individuals.

I like the suggestion of Ora -- I'll have to see what my DH thinks about that.

Not so fond of Veronica -- it always sounded like a villain (villainess) name to me when I was growing up.

Funny how names sound so different to different people. There have been a lot of comments on how Vesper sounds harsh or masculine, but I think it comes out of the mouth really softly and almost whisper-like.

I don't know that I'm totally sold on it, so it was good to hear all of these comments. We'll see... any other suggestions out there?