Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Is this name too out there?

So I just read the post at Appellation Mountain on the name Vesper. (http://appellationmountain.net/2009/...he-day-vesper/)

Is this name too weird or too James Bond-associated to use? I mentioned it to my husband and for once he liked a name I suggested! I think it has a soft sound, but a sort of cool and hip look. Plus, we're both Catholic, so I like the connotation with the prayers.

But is it too not-like-a-regular-name? Our first daughter is Juliette Noelle and we've gotten so many compliments on her name, I would hate for her sister to have a name that makes people go, "huh?" On the other hand... I do think it's pretty and interesting... What are your thoughts, Name-o-philes? :)

We'd probably be using my husband's mother's name as a middle name: Vesper Rosalinda.

Thanks!

Re: Is this name too out there?

I think Vesper is a beautiful name. Yes, it is different and unique, but I think it has a gorgeous sound and I also like the connection to prayer. My husband went to school with a girl who had the nickname Espie (Es-pee, short for Esperanza), and I always thought that was a cute nickname and one that would work with Vesper!

I say that if both you and your husband love it, go for it!

Next to Juliette, Vesper sounds almost boyish to me whereas Juliette is very feminine.
    It also makes me think of Vespa scooters.

You might like the name Ora, which means 'prayer'.
    Ora Rosalinda would be pretty.

I'm sorry, but my opinion is that this name is just absolutely awful!

And Juliette Noelle is so beautiful! Juliette and Vesper as sisters sounds insane to me.

Rosalinda, on the other hand is very pretty, and would work well with Juliette (as would Rosalind). If i were you, I would put this name in first place. Ordinarily if someone loves a name that just doesn't seem right for the first spot, I would suggest putting it in the middle. But I can't even bring myself to suggest Rosalinda Vesper.

I hate to be harsh and I wish I had something more constructive to say than just that I don't like it (especially since I don't know you and my opinion is truly insignificant). I guess what I'm trying to say, in the interest of honest discourse about the name, is Vesper is very harsh and abrasive, the kind of name that invites strong negative reactions. Of course, any name will meet people who don't love it or who feel it is not their style; this is more a matter of degree in terms of how most people will react to the name as well as how their reaction will likely venture beyond a mere "not my style" and into the territory of "oh no." The foremr you can quickly move past and get to associate the name with the person, while the latter seems to haunt a person's identity and be a source of irritation every time you have to say their name. Ultimately, Vesper is a name that seems to have the potential to rub most people the wrong way (including, possibly, your daughter who might end up less than pleased to have this name especially in the shadow of big sister Juliette).
    Mom of one daughter, age 2, and name-enthusiast