Names Searched Right Now:

Need help with girl's names

My d-i-l is expecting twins. Today her ultrasound revealed twin girls:) She really likes the name Abigail but has a problem with using it because one of her nieces is Gabrielle nned Gabby. She is afraid it would be shortened to Abby and would be too matchy with her niece's nn (she sees them alot). Can anyone help with another nn for Abigail besides the obvious Gail? Also, can you come up with similar names to Abigail that she might like in place of it? Also, any possibilities for the other twin that would sound great with Abigail or an alternative for it. Thanks in advance, ladies!

Re: Need help with girl's names

Quote Originally Posted by unicorngal
    My d-i-l is expecting twins. Today her ultrasound revealed twin girls:) She really likes the name Abigail but has a problem with using it because one of her nieces is Gabrielle nned Gabby. She is afraid it would be shortened to Abby and would be too matchy with her niece's nn (she sees them alot). Can anyone help with another nn for Abigail besides the obvious Gail? Also, can you come up with similar names to Abigail that she might like in place of it? Also, any possibilities for the other twin that would sound great with Abigail or an alternative for it. Thanks in advance, ladies!
    Hi! I know an Abigail who only goes by Abigail, and another who is called "Abs," but it always reminds me of the stomach muscles. :-) What about Bebe (a take on the bi part of the name)?

Names she may like instead (I grouped the replacements and the sibling names together, so I'll star the sibling names):

Annabel/Annabelle (it has the A and B sounds)
    Alice
    Amelia
    Audrey
    Adelaide
    Adeline
    Bryony
    Beatrice
    Caroline*
    Clementine
    Clara*
    Claire*
    Charlotte*
    Diana
    Eleanor*
    Emmeline*
    Eliza*
    Elizabeth*
    Felicity
    Genevieve
    Grace
    Isabel
    Juliet
    Julia*
    Josephine* (Little Women theme...)
    Katherine*
    Lydia*
    Louisa (Louisa May Alcott and her mom was Abigail)
    Laura*
    Margaret* (Little Women)
    Mirabelle/Mirabel
    Madeline*
    Natalie*
    Olivia* (Popular, though)
    Rose* (first name)
    Ruby
    Susannah*
    Tess/Tessa*
    Violet*

How cool that you'll be a grandma to twins! :-)

Take care!

I think Amelia, Adelaide, Annabelle and Adele are good substitutes, maybe even Allegra (--it has A, L and G sounds in it).
    Another possible nickname for Abigail could be Bailey. I know it's quite a stretch, taking the B and "ail" syllable, but if you can get the nickname Poppy from Penelope and Cleo from Clementine, why not Bailey from Abigail.
    Good Luck!

Thank you for the nn's Abs, Bebe, and Bailey. I will run these by her and see what she thinks. Jill, thank you for the names to go with Abigail. There are some lovely ones. I'll see what she thinks.

Love the name Abigail and it's meaning...that said, here are some names she might like (sorry for any repeats)

Catherine/Katherine
    Sara/Sarah
    Scarlett
    Audrey
    Lucy/Lucille
    Olivia
    Emma
    Grace
    Lillian
    Susanna
    Charlotte
    Amelia