Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: I give up - I'm not naming my daughter! Do you want to?

I think you should name your daughter Layla. So what if his family has trouble with the name at first? They can learn, can't they? It won't kill them.
    My personal name list on behindthename: http://www.behindthename.com/pnl/89873/89696.
    My List of Name Combos: http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9745611
    Please vote.

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful suggestions!!! There are so many that I love that I can't use - either because hubby has already vetoed them, or because we have family or friends with those names.

I have been carefully combing through them and right now I think my favorite first names are Elena and Clara. I am not taking Layla off my list, but if DH feels really strongly against that spelling I will let it go. It's all about choosing my battles, and I prefer we both feel good about our choice! I really liked Mariana and Mara, too, but the name meaning ("bitter") made them fall further down the list for me...

There are so many middle names I like: Graciana, Graciela, Milagros, Pilar, Paloma, Isabel, Viviana, Karina, Liliana - this is going to be a tough decision!

I don't really understand, so if someone could please explain what Spanish-speaking people don't "get" about Layla? Is it because it is not a Latin name or do they really not know how to say it? Or does it "translate" poorly, sound like another unfortunate word or meaningless phrase (him the)? I think the potential for Leila to be mispronounced is not too high or worrisome to me, but then I am not filled with pregnancy hormones, and Layla is great also. It kind of bums me out when nice people find the perfect name and then someone makes it into a big problem for them, they have to look for something else. I don't know for sure, but I think Spanish-speaking people can learn to say Layla and get used to it. That's my suggestion, but it may not be practical. Good luck!