Names Searched Right Now:

Thread: Gabriel

Gabriel

One of my favorites for a boy is Gabriel.

What do you think of it?

Any MN ideas?

Do you think that it's too "religious" sounding for someone who isn't (like I am)?

Do you think the ending would run into the beginning of a last name like mine starting with a "la" sound (some say that a first name should not end with the same letter as the first one of the last name, but here the sounds are a bit different; some other names that I like with a similar ending that I've wondered about are Mabel and Rachel for girls).

Re: Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by namefan
    Do you think the ending would run into the beginning of a last name like mine starting with a "la" sound
    I think it would be ok running into 'la' as long as you're pronouncing it the usual n.american way like 'GABE-ree-ul'. The only Gabriel I know is Venuzuelan and goes by 'Gabe' most of the time but sounds 'Gab-ree-ELLE' (or even 'Gav-ree-ELLE') when he pronounces his full name himself.

I love Gabe! And I don't think it sounds too religious at all, or that it would be a problem with an La- last name. Go for it!
    Mom of one daughter, age 2, and name-enthusiast

I LOVE the name Gabriel, but not with a last name beginning with an L, because the L sounds run together. (That's just me, though.)

If the back-to-back Ls don't bother you, that's seriously all that matters. And for what it's worth, Gabriel doesn't feel like a religious name to me...

Best wishes to you! :-)

I love Gabriel! Gabe is the only nickname I've heard for it. I think it's adorable. I wouldn't worry about the last name, as long as you don't think it sounds bad that's all that matters.