Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Weston or Wesley?

I like both Weston and Wesley. My grandfathers name is Wesley, and i really like the nn Wes. But i dont want the name to feel to old or a baby/child/teen. I like Weston as well, to me it seems like a good alternitive, however it seems to be rising in populatariy. What do you think?

Re: Weston or Wesley?

Out of the two I prefer Weston because it just feels a bit more sophisticated to me but they are both very nice names.

As to popularity; Weston was ranked #324 in 2008 and Wesley was ranked #194 for the same year. This is assuming you live in USA? So as it would seem, Wesley is actually more popular than Weston.

I don't know if Weston will overtake Wesley in the future but I think the name will become increasingly popular. Wesley I don't see as growing too much more and I suspect it might become a unisex name in the future, much like Finley.

So based on that I would choose Weston.

-Charlie
    "Be the change that you wish to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi

please check out my list!: http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9785307

I actually prefer Wesley. I honestly can't picture this being a name that goes over to the girls, as pp has suggested.

Weston reminds me of guns and cowboys.

Also, if you're worried about popularity issues, Weston fits in very closely with a growing trend to name boys surname-ish names that end in an "n"--something that's really hot right now (on this phenomenon, see Laura Wattenberg's statistics at http://www.babynamewizard.com/archiv...nd-up-nowadays ). So, basically, I think Weston might sound very much of its time rather than classic a few years down the road.
    *Mother to twins Charles and Samuel*

There is also Westerly which gives the nn Wes as well.

My DH's mn is Wesley and he goes by Wes...he loves his name! The only thing that bothers him is when pp mispronounce it West...therefore, he hated my suggestion that we name our child Weston...he felt that this would be even more susceptible to the West pn. Also, Westin (sp this way) seems more like a cross-over name than Wesley ever would be!