Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Need traditional, short baby name suggestions

I need help. Nothing appeals to me & DH in terms of boy names. We are not finding out the sex, so we need to be sure to have a good solid name for a boy or a girl. I like traditional and old-fashioned names. Among the more trendy, I like the short, one-syllable names. Some of my faves that DH rejected (we both have to LOVE the name, so some he's OK with but we're still waiting for "the one"):
    John
    Joseph (Our daughter is Joanna, or Jojo for short)
    Nate
    Abe
    Samuel (the top of our list right now)
    James
    Frank

We like Art (a family name), but don't want him to be called Fart. We like Gus, but I'll only name a kid August if he's born in the month of August. Owen is a fave, but recently used in our family. Considering Rowan as an alt., but again, we don't LOVE love it.

Any suggestions appreciated. I have until the spring, but I'm at my wit's end already.

Re: Need traditional, short baby name suggestions

Do you need suggestions for both a boy and a girl? Here are some of both...

George
    Edward
    Quinn
    Henry
    Jasper
    Callum
    Marcus
    Abram
    Arlo

Clara
    Stella
    Maeve
    Claire
    Leah
    Cora
    Sylvie
    Violet
    Greta
    cordelia ~ jessamine ~ alice ~ louisa ~ maeve ~ julia ~ eloise ~ fiona ~ genevieve
    matthias ~ william ~ henry ~ finn ~ benjamin ~ frederick ~ leander

Okay, so here are some short classic boys names:

Adam
    Ben
    Charles
    Dan
    George
    Henry
    Hugh
    Jack
    Jake
    Jude
    Luke
    Mark
    Nick
    Paul
    Pete
    Thomas
    Victor
    Walter

I did put in some two syllable names because it looks like you aren't completely opposed to them, just prefer the one syllable names.

What names are you considering for a girl? That might help us to come up with more suggestions. Also, what are the names that your husband likes the most? Maybe between looking at your fave girl's names and getting a sense of your husband's taste that will help you find a name you love.

Thanks for the suggestions! For girls, we'll likely use Margo Helena (named for grandmothers, as Joanna was). But we also like Leah, Allison, Caroline. I like a wide variety of traditional girls' names. Boys are hard for us.

And yeah, they don't have to be one syllable, but those are the ones that most appeal to me. And I would definitely use a full name and just a 1-syl nn for a boy.

DH has no suggestions. I just suggested Clark (a previous rejection of his) and his response is "I don't hate it"

Personally, I like the name Luke (or Lucas) and David. I intend to name my son either of the two names...that is IF we ever get a son. We have two daughters now, and we are slowly considering to stop at the number.