Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Pronunciation of Helena

Just wondering... What is the correct pronunciation of Helena? On Nameberry it says Hell-en-a. I don't care for the name whan pronounced that way. Could it be pronounced He-leen-a, or He-lay-na? So much prettier! Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Re: Pronunciation of Helena

It can be pronounced all 3 ways. You might want to be aware, everyone who meets little Helena will too, so be prepared to correct people.

Here in England, I have only heard it pronounced hell-en-a, however I have heard Americans and people from other places in Europe say hell-ay-na. Never hell-een-a, though.

I say Hell-en-nuh. But I've also heard it said Huh-lay-nuh and Huh-lee-nuh. I only really like it said Hell-en-nuh or Huh-lay-nuh.

Quote Originally Posted by evanescencedolly
    I say Hell-en-nuh. But I've also heard it said Huh-lay-nuh and Huh-lee-nuh. I only really like it said Hell-en-nuh or Huh-lay-nuh.
    I think Hel-ee-nuh is most rare, but is related to Helene - I think most people pronounce that Hel-een, not Helayne, or Ay-LEN (French is Hlne), while it is Hel-EN-uh in German - standard Anglicized is Hel-een, and I've never heard it pronounced otherwise.

I think for Helena, Hel-ay-nuh is most common, while Helen-uh is the capital of Montana, and some people prefer to pronounce it as such, in the US. In the UK, I guess that's standard.