Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Which spelling do you prefer?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Layla

7 18.42%
  • Laila

1 2.63%
  • Leyla

2 5.26%
  • Leila

28 73.68%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: Layla/Laila/Leyla/Leila?

I voted for Leila -- I am biased as I have a friend with that name. I also think it looks the least "made up" -- I think I just don't like y's in names that much. I would choose Laila as a 2nd choice, and Leilah also looks nice as pp suggested.

Just interested what you in the end named your baby girl....my eldest was born in Feb 2007, and her name is Leyla Isobel. I had chosen that spelling as the person who inspired the name was spelt that way, and Isobel being my grandmother's name. However spelt, just beautiful. Good- luck.

Quote Originally Posted by canadianne
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbagbody
    Hi - how are you pronouncing it?

My daughter is named Laila (rhymes with 'smiler') and it has annoyed me all her short life that people constantly call her LAY-la (rhymes with Tayla/mailer). I guess we didn't really think that one through in the warm glow of the maternity ward.

I wish I had spelled it Leila, so that's my advice!
    Just curious, where are you from? Hard as I try I can't get Laila to rhyme with smiler :) Is that Australian?
    I guess that's what you call a non-rhotic accent. Found in a significant area of Britain, as I recall.

I would say all four spellings the same. You can never be unambiguous on pronunciation. I expect some could also say Leila with the long I sound as in Einstein.

I favor Leila.The spellings with Y feel like unnecessary Anglicization.

I think it would depend on your heritage and last name to how you choose to spell it.... Theres french, arabic, german, english, and irish spellings. Good Luck and Congrats!