Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Due in 1 week and fearing we've selected the wrong name.

We've been referring to our ds#2 as "Judah" for months now. However, now I'm afraid the New Testament negative connotations (i.e. Greek form of the name, Judas) will plague him his entire life.

We are not Jewish (it seems this name is more common/accepted/positive among Jewish people because they don't have the New Testament negative version to contend with).

Our ds#1's name is Isaiah.

Please help!

Re: Due in 1 week and fearing we've selected the wrong name.

Hi! For what it's worth, I think that Judah is a great name, and I love Jude, too. I associate Judah with the Old Testament, and while Jude is closer to Judas for me, I honestly only think of Jude Law and how handsome it is.

I personally wouldn't worry, but if you're really concerned, you may also like:

Jonah
    Tobiah
    Abraham
    Ezra
    Ezekiel
    Gideon
    Gabriel
    Jeremiah
    Micah
    Nathaniel
    Tobias
    Solomon
    Simon
    Samson

Good luck! :-)

I have my doubts about using the name Judah or Jude too. Some have said that the association of this name and the name Judas (Iscariot) are no longer a concern, but I think a lot of people would make that link. Too, I think you may be right that the name Judah has been more comfortably used by Jewish families. As for Jude Law, his parents may have had some concerns when they chose his name too because his given name is DAVID Jude Law. I think your concerns are valid, and you may want to choose a different name.

How about Josiah or Jonah?

I think Elijah works well with Isaiah too.

I know a family with three boys named
    Jacob (Jake)
    Isaiah (Ike)
    Ezekiel (Zeke)

Quote Originally Posted by ellen_b
    I have my doubts about using the name Judah or Jude too. Some have said that the association of this name and the name Judas (Iscariot) are no longer a concern, but I think a lot of people would make that link. Too, I think you may be right that the name Judah has been more comfortably used by Jewish families. As for Jude Law, his parents may have had some concerns when they chose his name too because his given name is DAVID Jude Law. I think your concerns are valid, and you may want to choose a different name.

How about Josiah or Jonah?
    I agree with Ellen. Love Jonah and also:

Gabriel nn Gabe - love it!
    Reuben
    Samson